Mitres are harder than dovetails!

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Mattty":10aowgqs said:
When in actuall fact SCMS's can be fantastically accurate and can more easily handle longer material than most TS sliding tables can.
Horses for courses- all i'm saying is that i can very easily cut mitres with a scms.

All SCMS can tilt to 45degrees (the C stands for compound... i think!)

it does depend on the brand of saw though - i came seriously to greif before xmas trying to cut box mitre corners on my (non sliding) performance power (two lies for the price of one) cms - because the angle setting just wasnt accurate enough.

fine for first fix, and for cutting points on finger signs but for fine work - not a hope in hell.

that said brads dewalt, and the comparable bosch, festool, makita etc are a completely different fish of kettles to my £15 piece of rubbish (which hasnt been used since i got my 419 table saw, and which will go to the recyling centre shortly)

I find my DeWalt mitre saw extremely accurate and would probably consider it as the first port of call in many mitre situations. Tablesaw is the other option.

I know that early in my woodworking career if I tried to adjust a mitre with handtools I just made it worse. Thats not so much the case now, but my point remains that you can get a great outcome from a good quality mitre saw. Mine is a non-sliding type, which reduces capacity but probably makes it more accurate as one less thing to slop about.

Ed

Latest posts

Back