Mitre saw distance from wall

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mark A

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi chaps,

I recently bought a new mitre saw - a Makita LS1019 - which unfortunately has some manufacturing issues. The shop has arranged to replace it when they receive fresh stock in June, but I really can't wait another three or four weeks so I'm considering alternatives.

Space is very limited in my garage, which is one of the reasons I chose the Makita: the rails are positioned out the front of the saw so it can placed close to a wall. Allowing enough clearance for the protruding vacuum hose the saw needs about 15" / 380mm back from the fence to turn freely for mitres.

I realise that's better than standard mitre saws with protruding rails, but by how much I don't know. Which leads to my question:

Measuring from the fence, how far from a wall can your 10" or 12" mitre saw be positioned?

Cheers,
Mark

Not answering your question, there's been some chat on here about the Bosch axial glide saw that has the same advantage of reduced clearance to the back.
My metabo mitre (10") from the very front of the adjusting handle to the very back takes about half the width of a single garage ! Nice saw but a monster footprint.

Back