Quantcast

Mitre Saw Advoice

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

Trevsf1

Established Member
Reaction score
I presently have a Dewalt 12inch single bevel mitre saw.

I am now feeling that I need a sliding saw capable of trenching but there seems to be so many ( Evolution, Erbaur, SIP ) etc that offer so many extras it makes me wonder if they are really value or do I stick with the more expensive to ensure it continues to work. I know my Dewalt has worked well for 8 years and other than brushes shows no signs of retiring.

Any advice appreciated,

Thanks

Trevor

Saxwood

Established Member
Reaction score
I've owned a few over the years, Elu, Makita, Axminster cordless, the best was an Elektra Beckum but it did'nt have a true trenching facility but a got round that by packing of the fence and adjusting the height, a have just bought a Delta 12" slide of egay for £60 so i'll be letting everyone know how i get on with it, they are supposed to be good, would anyone care to enlighten us, i don't like the look of the Evo's, SIP's Erbauer as they are definitely built to a price ;o)

pswallace

Established Member
Reaction score
If you are looking something in the lower price range stay clear of erbaur. I have A 10" Ryobi slider and it's great for the price however if I had to buy again in that price range I would go for the metabo (used to be Elektra Beckum).

chippymart

Established Member
Reaction score
If money is no object, then the Festool Kapex is a fantastic bit of kit. So presise and great dust extraction when connected

Saxwood

Established Member
Reaction score
Well after several weeks of use i can confidently say the Delta Sidekick is a great piece of kit for the asking price, not as quiet as an Elektra Beckum but what is eh 8)

turnamere

Established Member
Reaction score
I bought a budget SCMS many years ago and whilst it confirmed the usefullnes of the tool it needed constant fettling to keep it accurate. Once I'd finished the project that I bought it for I lent it to a friend and never asked for it back.

I subsequently found a refurbished DW708 at a good price and that has been a fantastic tool, huge capacity and despite heavy use on a number of projects over tha last ten years it has needed almost no work to maintain its accuracy.

I may only be an enthusiastic amateur but this is the tool that convinced me of the benefits of buying professional quality tools; their longevity and accuracy quickly justify the extra cost.

Saxwood

Established Member
Reaction score
I do miss my Elektra Beckum, oh hang on i've still got one left as i won two on egay for £25 :D :shock: :D

Saxwood

Established Member
Reaction score
I usually call them chop saws, a bit caveman i know but that's what my boss called it when he got one back in the late 80's and it's stuck in my bonce :oops: