Mitre jig help requested

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

devonwoody

Established Member
Reaction score
Need a mitre jig to work for my tissue box asp. There are going to be some small pieces.

I have made the mitre slot runners (see pic2) and cut a piece of 12 mm ply for the base and got a back fence glued and screwed in position, see pic 2. (Runers not glued or screwed yet)

I have got a piece of laminated chipboard with a perfect 90% corner which I now want to attach to the baseboard jig. see pic 1

How would you go about finding the centre part cut (3.2mm thick blade) to produce the 45% mitre cut not relying on eye positioning.

1w-3.jpg

2w-3.jpg

Hi, If you're after finding the 45degree angle/line, create the largest square you can based on the corner you have and join the diagonals. No surely you knew that? Could you put more detail into the quesion please?

This link to a post by Niki might help. :)

xy

Hi John

In my opinion, there is no difference if the sled base is square or not...the most important is that the fence will be at 90° to the blade...

Please have a look at this post for an example...
https://www.ukworkshop.co.uk/forums/view ... highlight=

And here you can see an actual one...start from picture 022...
https://www.ukworkshop.co.uk/forums/view ... highlight=

After you finish the sled, attach to the back fence (the one near to you) a big accurate triangle and screw it to the sled or, you can just use it as a guide to locate the miter fences.

With a 3.2mm kerf, it will be very easy to position the triangle vertex at the kerf centre. Very minor "out of centre" will be compensated by the "Left" and "Right" cutting of the miters.

Regards
niki

Thanks Niki, you confirm what has also come to my mind.

I will put the sled into the blade and get a cut, then line two triangles either side of the blade and then obtain the mitre angles from the triangles on the base plate to position my laminated block shown above.

Finally got to the shed and glued on the runners and had screws also ready to insert to hold runners to base.

3w-3.jpg

Whilst glue was setting gave the last five boxes another coat of acrylic varnish, and at 4pm gave one of them away to a neighbour and said "heres a tissue box for you, it should compensate for some of the machinery noise you've heard lately" she replied "thank you, I thought the noise was coming from the woods behind caused by tree cutting"

4w-2.jpg

Also sharpened up three plane blades that have been in need the last few weeks.

5w-2.jpg

fitted the supports for mitre jig and did a test run (used slats in the end not the laminated board)

6w-1.jpg

Blade guard works.

7w-1.jpg

and cut the first long section of tissue box asp.
8w-1.jpg

However couldn't face doing the short end piece. :oops:
9w-1.jpg

So cut the short end off by hand and tidied up on the sander.

10w-2.jpg

So had a good day.

Back