Mitre fence for my bandsaw?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

julianf

Established Member
Reaction score
I've got one of the 14" warco bandsaws, that are also branded under JET and others.

I'd like an off the shelf fence for it, ideally with a stop.

I've looked at a few online, and the incra 1000se seems the nicest, but its cost is about 10x what I paid for the saw!

Another option is the kreg 7101. I don't think the slot adjustment is nearly as nice as the incra - I think it relies on simple grub screws scraping down the channel? Whilst I think the incra has wheels. But I guess the other side of the bar is scraping anyway, so...?

Anyhow, the incra is probably over £150, whilst the kreg is pennies under £60 delivered.

Can anyone make comment? Or suggest other options?

Thank you.

I also have the same mitre fence on my router table and can confirm that I am also pleased with it.

Mike

I was looking at the ujk one, but one of the reviews (on the axminster site) was on about it being sloppy. You dont find that?

axminster seem to have changed about their site since yesterday, but here is the review -

https://webcache.googleusercontent.com/ ... clnk&gl=uk

talks about a threadded bolt in a plastic bush. easy enough to mod, i guess, but i dont know if the reviewer is one of those who complains at design even though the design works fine, or if its actually an issue.

still more money then the kreg though, but you get the bar and the stop, which i would like.

I dont think of a mitre fence on a bandsaw as an accurate jig.
You have a small saw which will take a narrow blade, crowned tires etc
I suggest you just make one from a two bits of hardwood or something else if you prefer.
I wouldn't go to great measures to obtain the best possible materials for the job though.

The stop is not going to work on a small bandsaw crosscut jig, as in ...
the work will need shooting afterwards
Try getting by with marking your stop line on a bit of tape or similar stuck to your fence,
and shooting it afterwards, as you wont get good results otherwise

I would make the shooting board before I would even think of crosscutting repetitively on
a bandsasw.

Good luck
Tom

julianf":3kstgutc said:
talks about a threadded bolt in a plastic bush. easy enough to mod, i guess, but i dont know if the reviewer is one of those who complains at design even though the design works fine, or if its actually an issue.
Easy enough - How often do you need to cut mitres to accuracy greater than one-tenth of a degree?
That's what the reviewer was moaning about.

The guy who left that review obviously makes spacecraft for a day job.
The UJK is well made for the money. The mitre can be locked down tight once you have adjusted it to your particular tolerance level. The spring loaded angle knob is perfectly adequate for any construction work and can be fine tuned if you want to. The sliding bar has adjusting grub screws, what more do you want for less than a mortgage?
If he wanted absolute accuracy why didnt he buy the three times as much incra?

I try not to look at reviews, but if I do, I immediately ignore the very best, and the very worst.

I saw a review on a tool that gave 5 stars across the board, he then said "I havent used it yet but it was packed very well" DUH!

sunnybob":20rqu6lg said:
I saw a review from a tool that gave 5 stars across the board, he then said "I havent used it yet but it was packed very well" DUH!

Fixed that for ya. :wink:

After I bought a new startrite bandsaw, I baulked at the price of the mitre fence for the saw. Additionally, it did not seem to be of any quality. So I picked up an old mitre fence and removed the guide runner as it was to small for Startrite table guide slot. With some mild steel bar and a few hours of filing, a couple of hole one tapped, I now have a mitre fence for little money. If your on a budget it may be a solution to your problem

I would agree that a mitre face on a bandsaw is not a very accurate device and that you will need to shoot the mitres after cutting, that being said it might as well be a home made mitre fence.

Back