Mirror Wardrobe door Back

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mike Vastano

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi All

I have made some wardrobe doors using a frame of American Walnut and rebating a mirror into the frame..

I am really chuffed (first time etc) but totally did not think how the back would look. the mirror back is green and in some cases has lettering all over. (See pics)

So my question is what's the best way to finish this off?

The inset is about 6 mm so I could use some ply or hardboard but this would mean staining the ply/hb to match and gluing in I presume. This is the best idea I have had so far but wondered if any of you guys with more experience can come up with a better idea.

Thanks
IMG_1900.JPG

IMG_1901.JPG

IMG_1902.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_1900.JPG
    IMG_1900.JPG
    128.2 KB · Views: 83
  • IMG_1901.JPG
    IMG_1901.JPG
    97.3 KB · Views: 83
  • IMG_1902.JPG
    IMG_1902.JPG
    129.9 KB · Views: 83
Hello Mike, you can get 6mm Walnut veneered MDF,

http://www.slhardwoods.co.uk/products/s ... neered-mdf

It's not cheap and it would add weight to the door so stressing the hinges and the frame that little bit more (are you confident about the joints that connect the stiles and rails-the vertical frame pieces to the horizontal frame pieces?).

As it's the inside of the door would a painted panel to match the room decor be acceptable? If so then there's lots of cheap-and light-options available.

custard":309htlhq said:
Hello Mike, you can get 6mm Walnut veneered MDF,

http://www.slhardwoods.co.uk/products/s ... neered-mdf

It's not cheap and it would add weight to the door so stressing the hinges and the frame that little bit more (are you confident about the joints that connect the stiles and rails-the vertical frame pieces to the horizontal frame pieces?).

As it's the inside of the door would a painted panel to match the room decor be acceptable? If so then there's lots of cheap-and light-options available.

Hi Thanks for the reply Custard Yes the joints are up to it ( tongue and grooved with plenty of titebond ) I have priced up thinner veneered MDF before and it not much cheaper than the 19mm I used for the wardrobe carcass and it pains me to pay more to get less so to speak.

The painted panel sounds like a good idea I will check with the boss (wife) see what she thinks

I would find a nice piece of material that complements the decor of the room and use that to cover the back. You could "upholster" a very thin board, say just 3mm and it would look smashing.

Steve Maskery":hab9vdyi said:
I would find a nice piece of material that complements the decor of the room and use that to cover the back. You could "upholster" a very thin board, say just 3mm and it would look smashing.

And the wife agrees :D

Thanks Great idea and pretty cheap

Back