Mirka soft pads?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
They probably work fine but the price is a bit steep.
When denibbing woodwork and mdf I use the 220 grit foam ones from Morrells for primer coats (very cheap by the box) and the maroon webrax type for topcoats I think its equivalent to 600 grit. If its big and flat then just normal mesh 320 grit works fine.
The Webrax is very good on mouldings or anything with complex shapes and doesn`t clogg nearly as much as the pads.
The most important bit is actually removing the dust after denibbing so good tackcloths are a must.

Ollie

240 grit sounds very coarse for denibbing spray paint.
But are we talking lacquers or enamels on metal or just a spray finish on e.g. mdf ?
None, just the pads, being softer than paper etc, I found the idea interesting. I saw them used on bannister spindles, an ideal use for soft abrasive.

You can get those in rolls from automotive car paint suppliers (they go up to 800grit) Foam-backed Paper Roll 115mm x 25m [Series 1904] - Sandingshed they are great for pretty much everything, and they tend not to clog much. Also if anyones interested try the Mirka galaxy range of sanding discs, they knocked the spots of the 3m cubitron 2 discs!!
Cheers
Andrew

I use Goldflex pads for sanding guitars prior to finishing, they're the best sanding pads I've come across by far. Not cheap but they last for a long time. I see no reason why they wouldn't work to de-nib paint.. however for paint/lacquer, I'd personally chose Mirka Abralon pads over the Goldflex pads. They would be less likely to clog and can by used wet or dry, and therefore can be cleaned in water to make them last longer.

I buy GF from Restorate (formally Rest Express). They also sell Abralon discs but not the rectangular pads, I tend to get those from Axminster.

Search: 6 results found for "goldflex" (10 pack of Goldflex is £5.57)

Back