Mira shower thermostat

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dickm

Established Member
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
Any of you clever people on here ever dismantled a Mira 903:36 cassette off an old (pre-2002) shower? Mine has got steadily stiffer and stiffer to turn on/off. I've tried silicone lube on the thread of the on-off bit, but no difference. The problem is obviously inside the cassette. A replacement is £150, so wondering if there is any fix for this problem.

Take the cartridge out & soak it over night in descaling solution, rinse & refit, usually does the trick.

Last edited:
I might have one of these in my garage as I replaced the cartridge a year ago and have just done the whole bathroom. I'm off to spain, back next weekend. If you haven't got it sorted give me a message and I will see if itbis still there. If it is you can have it

Thanks, guys. Never thought of scale, as our water up here is ultra-soft (like Glasgow, TTTM!) so it's not usually a problem. But has to be worth a try.
Have a good time in Spain, TTTM; I'll wait to hear what you've found.

It's always a good idea to periodically move the temperature control lever from full cold to full hot a few times. Folk tend to leave the control at their required setting but the thermostatic gubbins then gets stuck in that position and can't react to the variations in input temperature. Hot and cold a few times remind it who is boss!

Not sure if it was the same model but I successfully disassembled the cartridge in our shower, greased and reassembled.
The cartridge screws together but some care is required to avoid damaging it when clamping it to undo. Ours was very tight.
I have more pictures if you are interested.
IMG_4051.jpeg

Last edited:
Not sure if it was the same model but I successfully disassembled the cartridge in our shower, greased and reassembled.
The cartridge screws together but some care is required to avoid damaging it when clamping it to undo. Ours was very tight.
I have more pictures if you are interested.
View attachment 156243
'fraid that looks like a totally different model, but it gives me thoughts!
However, one or other of the suggestions given earlier seems to have worked! Will see for how long it continues!
Thanks to you clever people.

Ah. I spoke too soon! Did all the suggestions, on-off seemed to work fine, installed the cassette and this morning went to use it. Several rude words uttered; the thermostat is now stuck firmly on tepid. Good job we have a separate shower, probably ten years older, over the bath!

Back