Minimum spend for a good starter table saw

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Arjay12345

Reaction score
Hi, newbie here.

I'm a keen DIY'er and have done lots of things around the house. I want to go to next step and make some proper furniture for the house. What's the min spend people think I need for a starter table saw? I see lots of saws around the £200 mark, but most reviews seem unfavourable. I'm happy to go higher if it's worth it. Are Metabo's good? Also thinking about the collapsable Axminster with wheels for easy storage

If you were me, which would you invest in?

Thanks in advance

If it were me it would have to have an induction motor - I can't stand the scream of brush motors. Something in the mid-market price range from Axminster, SIP, Record etc. Buy cheap and you'll regret it sooner than later and also regret the money you wasted. Been there :(

Having browsed various websites, I do agree with your comments. Ironically, those brands (along with Charnwood) seem to the novice eye, to be the more highly spoken about. My problem is that I'd love to invest in a cast top in-situ piece, but my shed needs a refurb (all that other junk) and the floor probably won't take the weight of one.

Hence, something that's moveable but reliable and accurate is preferred. Glad you said Axminster as their site contractor model with wheels may be my best option. Plus it's on offer at the mo.

Final option - does anyone rate the Triton Workcentre range? Plus side seems to be that you can get router table and other add-on bits..

What are you going to make the furniture out of? If it's sheet materials you may well be better off with a track saw than a table saw.

I had a Metabo TS250, which I mounted on a shop made mobile base. It was noisy, but it had some good features. DX was good, the ripping capacity was good, and iirc the fence could be pulled back to make a short fence for ripping. You should be able to pick one up 2nd hand for around your budget.

I only got rid of mine when I upgraded to a MUCH bigger cast iron t/s.

Cheers

Karl

An interesting thread to watch, I've got a Metabo site saw which I quite like - its fairly quiet compared to a couple of budget saws I have experienced but has a pressed steel surface which I dont think is as good as the thicker cast ally ones on other low end saws.

Hi, I was in the same situation and didn't have much room so I bought the de-walt 745. Since then I have built A mobile base with An extension table and it works fine for me.The saw is A bit noisy but it is very accurate.You can also buy A wheeled unit made by de-walt for the saw. If you shop around you should be able to get it for around the same price as the metabo, however I have heard the metabo is A good saw too. As for the Triton unit,I can't comment on how good it is but the triton brand seems to have an uncertain future at the minute so you may find it difficult if you need to buy spare parts should you need them down the line ! one last thing I would make sure whatever brand you buy go for one with A mitre slot either side of the blade as they will come in handy for jigs. Phil.

Have you considered a multi machine centre, I will be selling a coronet major Wood lathe that includes a saw table, planer, spindle molder, sander and router , plus morticer. feel free to pm for further details

I was in the same position last year regarding table saws. I couldn't fit a big one in my shed, so followed a lot of the advice given here and bought an Axminster TS200, which unfortunately turned out to be plagued with issues. I returned it and bought the Metabo TS250 mentioned above and am overall happy with it. It's accurate, has good ripping capacity and good dust extraction, though the brush motor is pretty noisy. I wear ear defenders so it's not a problem for me but I won't use it after about 6pm in case it disturbs neighbours, so make sure I do all my cutting with it before then.

I bought my saw for £349 including vat and carriage, which was about the same as the Makita I was considering (read some bad reviews about it), and considerably less than the Dewalt.

Hope this helps,
Mark

Thanks for the feedback all. I think I'm going to do a bit more homework on the Metabos and go for one of them. Seems like the key aspects to filter on are noise levels and accuracy (and of course, build quality). Any other if al tips??

Lord Kitchener - table saws are a new horizon for me so I'm hoping to buy something that allows me to learn all of the different things a t/s can do, hence def want one of them rather than a track saw.

Wildman - sounds good but also doesn't sound cheap!

Charley - saw your pm; looks good, but location is near 2 hours away so a bit further than I'd like to travel to. Thanks anyway and appreciate Amy other suggestions you can give.

Thanks all..

Back