Minimax t124

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RogiBear

Established Member
Reaction score
Does anyone have any experience of this lathe?

Also is there anyway that it could be extended, while still keeping the copy function?

Thanks in advance

Hi

An associate of mine had one of these a while ago - I'm not aware of any 'off the shelf' bed extensions but that is not to say they could not be fabricated to extend both bed and copy range.

Do you have any experience of using a copy lathe? - the quality of production will range from acceptable to awful depending on what wood is used, cutter edge, type, approach, traverse speed etc.

Have a look at what sort of work it is capable of producing and decide if the quality is sufficient for your use before you spend any money

Regards Mick

Hi Mick,

thanks for the reply, I have zero experience with a copy lathe.

The main turning would be done on either ash or maple. But I would need to turn ebony and other hardwoods also, not necessarily using the copy attachment though.

Adam

Hi Adam

In that case I'd definitely get a demonstration of it's capabilities. I don't think you'll find it acceptable for anything more than rough work.
Freehand copy turning is not too difficult to master to an acceptable degree of accuracy.

Regards Mick

It wouldn't be used to create the finished piece so as long at it doesn't rip it to shreds rough is fine.

I want to use the copy attachment for snooker cue shaft blanks, which are very repetitive and can be done to slightly oversize. There is a lot of wastage with due grain pattern with both ash and maple so there needs to be a trade off between speed and finish

I have a Mini max t124 and find it an amazing lathe. The copier gives consistently perfect copies as long as the cutters are sharp. I now use diamond shaped carbide tips for roughing and round carbide tips for finishing if needed.

Back