MIG Welding with or without GAS (co2)

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mcluma

Established Member
Reaction score
I have read lots of posts, but i still do not know what is better for a novice welder.

Just need to do some small welding (frames) and maybe other things around the house and shop

So what is easier to use and gives a stronger results With or without gas

and as i want to use it on 240 what is the recommended amp

And if you have one and are happy with it, then please share it with me, that shortens the process of me doing all the research

McLuma

Modedit: moved from 'Buying Advice'

Gill

Mcluma,

I'd recommend using gas. It's much easier and will give better results. My MIG is 160A max. and this I think is on the limit for a 13A std socket. I found the fuse doesn't blow, but would get very warm on max. output current, due to contact resistance.

Ike

I have a SIP Migmate 130 Turbo that I've had for years and it has been great. I'd go with gas and don't get anything less than a 130 Amp machine.

I don't have any problems running mine off 230V

Just one comment, a mate of mine ran his through an extension cable and had no end of problems. I gave him a extremely heavy duty piece of extension cable (and much shorter) and it solved all of the problems.

Adam

Unless you are planning to weld outside, dont bother with gasless.
As said, go for a machine around the 150-160 amp mark. Although a 200 amper will run from a 13 amp plug 9few fuse changes) its not really worth going the extra for a diy welder.
I guess your welding mild steel? If so, get yourself a bottle of argon/co2 mix.

A few months ago i was recently looking for a new mig welder. The previous welder i owned was a SIP migmate turbo which was C#*P!
Look for a automotive/industrial unit and it will last for ages

Have a look on this site: http://www.johndavies.co.uk/nmig.htm

my welder is the 190Amp version. I work at BNFL and a mate in the main fabrication workshop who is a certified welder said that he thought it was a belter for the price!

I think it depends on how much you envisage using it. Migmates are ideal if its only used once in a blue moon, dont take up much space.

That machine looks pretty good as you say Omega, euro torch, full size bottle/rolls great if you intend doing a 'bit more'

Personally, i wouldnt buy a migmate, would go for something like the Migstar in the link above. But welding/fabrication is my trade.
The one i have at home is a full size european built machine, with copper transformers, 205amp.

A lot of it will come down to what you want to weld.... what have you got planned?

I have had the SIP gasless welder for about fifteen years great little machines on thin stuff but for thicker material get a stick welder and what Adam says about the extension lead unwind it totally off the reel.

Tony the gas on a gasless welder is in the wire ( Powder form). same principal as a stick welder.

Cheers

There is nothing to stop you running a gased welder without gas as long as you use flux cored wire AND reverse the polarity of the torch and return.
Dont bother with a stick welder for thicker stuff... theres no reason why you cant weld 8mm plate with a 150 amp welder as long as you prep it properly.

Go for the mixture....You will get much bettere results for general purpose work.
Argon/CO2 mix, 95/5

Back