Midi Dehumidifier £29.99

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have one of those that I got off ebay a couple of years ago for about a tenner. I bought it to replace a normal dehumidifier and it seemed OK but I found that it was only useable while the temperature was reasonable and in the cold weather the inlet grill would freeze to a solid block of ice. It doesn't work like a normal dehumidifier that has a refrigeration unit in it, this has a heat transfer component built in to it. Probably good for a (relatively warm) spare room but I found it not much use in my own workshop. Obviously other people may have a different experience. If I recall the French sounding heat exchange components name I will post it and you can google it.

Cheers Andy

Being a Peltier heat pump using a semi conductor, it seems to me that this thing has no defrost – hence the icing at low temperatures.
By their nature, Peltiers are limited in their thermal capacity. Larger de-hums that use a compression cycle are equipped with an automatic defrost system – a thermostat, timer and electric heater - to periodically remove frost build up on the evaporator surface.
When de-hums get even bigger, they use a desiccant that is continually regenerated by heat. These are very energy-greedy for what they do and can remove large amounts of moisture at a time; more suited to industrial drying.

Even so and looking at its modest moisture removal, (600 ml per day) I can see a use as a conditioner for small stacks of timber that can be arranged in stick and then to have a plastic tent erected around it. You may then simulate a centrally heated environment. This removes the need to take it indoors for makers of small runs of pieces.

But what do you want it for? Workshop conditioning? Timber drying? To moisture condition a decent sized workshop, I guess that you’d need several of these.

Back