Cleaning up an old vice

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wilson joinery

Established Member
Reaction score
Evening everyone

I’m picking up an old record 52 1/2e vice on Thursday for the princely sum of £12 but it does need a bit of tidying up. Can anyone recommend something to remove the rust/corrosion from the non painted parts? I’ve used 00 wire wool in the past but wonder if there’s a better product/tool for this?

Cheers
Pete

1AF32415-6507-4D5A-9197-166B50A58BAE.png

Attachments

• 53D35556-C1B4-4DA6-A262-BEF9BBB6045F.png
    53D35556-C1B4-4DA6-A262-BEF9BBB6045F.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 0
  • 7EB8844C-24B6-42DB-8BED-22F6EB185A38.png
    7EB8844C-24B6-42DB-8BED-22F6EB185A38.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 0
That's a real bargain Pete though it looks like one of the later versions. I would try to keep it as original as possible it would be a shame to spoil it especially as it still has the Record label. It's not difficult to strip down, use some brake cleaner, turps etc and an old paintbrush to clean off the crud then a light coat of grease, will come up a treat. Best finish for the face is wax buffed with an old shoe brush.

That's a real bargain Pete though it looks like one of the later versions. I would try to keep it as original as possible it would be a shame to spoil it especially as it still has the Record label. It's not difficult to strip down, use some brake cleaner, turps etc and an old paintbrush to clean off the crud then a light coat of grease, will come up a treat. Best finish for the face is wax buffed with an old shoe brush.
+1

Just clean and lubricate sufficiently to make everything move as it should, and use it!

Thanks for all of the replies everyone. I’ll definitely try to keep it as original as possible and probably won’t even touch the painted areas. Lons - I actually bought some old sash clamps not long ago and they also still have the original small oval record stickers on them which I’ve been very careful not to damage while cleaning them.

Just to check - will brake cleaner/turps actually remove the rust of will that just dissolve the grease and from there will I need the Emery cloth to remove the rust and then finally a light coat of grease on top of that?

Is there a particular grit of Emery cloth I should be looking for so as not to scratch the metal and is there any particular brand of grease that would work well? I’ve got silicone grease in the garage somewhere from my car tinkering days.

Thanks again all
Pete

maybe not in this case but is sandblasting something that would be good for this sort of thing on one that needed full resto? perhaps walnut shells or something less abrasive than sand?

Latest posts

Back