Mid-range bandsaw

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

woof

Established Member
Reaction score
I have searched through posts here, but wanted to gauge more recent opinion ideally from owners of midrange bandsaws, having just burnt out my motor on an axminster 350 bandsaw, (0.75kw) I am thinking of an upgrade. I do have 16A sockets so that is not a problem. I was tempted with the Axminster 4300T1 - but that seems to have leapt up around £100 in price overnight - now just under £2000! However very similar specs are found in a bandsaw members own here... the SBW4300B - at a considerable saving - close on £800. What is the difference between industrial and trade.... compliance for use in schools?
I next looked around here and there seems to be some great satisfaction in the Record power 400 - which does look good, and also in old startrites. But does anyone have the new startrite 403?
Only limitation is the ceiling - I want to put it on a base so need it to be no taller than 1900mm so I can carefully lug it around the workshop.
Thanks in advance for your advice! Mark

Hi woof,

I only have knowledge of the Record BS400, which I bought new a couple of years ago. It is a superb machine and gets regular use witj a variety of blades, all made by Ian Black at Tuffsaw, as they are the best in my opinion. I looked at several bandsaws when buying new and decided on the Record in view of excellent reviews on this forum as well as other places and it has a 5 year guarantee.

It will handle a lot of hard work, is easily moved around my garage and if you buy when there is a show running, you can get a good discount and free delivery. Yandles have a show on this coming 9th and 10th of September if it's not too far away for you.
Malcolm

Thanks Malcolm. I would not normally have considered the Record but had noticed some excellent reviews on here. Unfortunately Yandles are very far away but may go and have a look more locally (East Sussex here). But I have been using Tuff saw blades, and whilst this is only an occasional hobby, the blades cut like a sharp knife through butter - I am a fan! I will look at the reviews again but good to know it moves around easy - I guess you got the wheels that fit on the base? Thanks for the input.

I just bought a basato 4 should take delivery today.
Its not a bandsaw i was looking at but i got offered a brand new one with the mitre attachment and a couple of free blades thrown in for £500.

Its not a bandsaw i could find much information on at all. I dont think id have gone for it at full price but for £500 i think it would be hard to do better.

Does anyone here have one?

Alexfn":1p6chzwl said:
I just bought a basato 4 should take delivery today.
Its not a bandsaw i was looking at but i got offered a brand new one with the mitre attachment and a couple of free blades thrown in for £500.

Its not a bandsaw i could find much information on at all. I dont think id have gone for it at full price but for £500 i think it would be hard to do better.

Does anyone here have one?

Have a look at this :-https://www.ukworkshop.co.uk/forums/scheppach-basato-4-bandsaw-t66975.html
Regards
Timber

What happened to the motor on the 350?

It should last for many years, but if its just a dud motor, that can happen on any equipment.
A new motor is a lot cheaper than a new bandsaw.
Just thinking here, did you have the drive belt very tight? That will cause a motor to overheat.

I looked around at numerous bandsaws a year or so ago including the 403, Hammer, Axi, Record 400 and Jet. There is a post on here about it.

I am a home user - but quite heavy duty and so a trade rated machine was necessary. Industrial was over the top but the more robust features and easy blade tensioning are nice. Like you I had a height limitation and 16" capacity was effective the maximum. I am glad I did not go smaller.

I ruled out the Record as I didn't like the plastic adjustment knobs and somewhat lightweight finish but it gets good reviews. I think of it as a scaled up hobby machine and what I wanted was at the small end of proper trade machines I suppose.

Hammer had a poor customer service attitude.

403 is excellent but I decided I could not justify the cost. I didn't fancy taking pot luck on a used older Startrite and having to move it myself was the main thing that stopped me going that route as I would have had to hire a van and labour.

I looked hard at Axi and Jet. Not much in it but I bought the Jet as it was better finished and I liked the very rigid triangular spine and the fence adjustment was superior to the Axi machine for me. It was also on special offer and they could deliver straight away. I wish it had the tension lever that both the larger and smaller Jet have. It is a good machine once you have it set up perfectly. Getting access to the bottom blade guides is a bit of a faff. I also use Tuffsaw blades . At Heathfield you are not far from me so come and have a look at it if you like and you can see it in action. It cuts well, dust collection is good (very little collects in the case) and it still looks like new after a year of use. It is big enough to take a tension a wide blade and runs fine on tiny blades for box making etc. Cast iron table is properly flat. Runs of a 13amp supply as long as it a hefty one, but I have 16amp capacity anyway. PM me if you want a go on it.

My overall advice: You only want to buy a bandsaw once and a couple of hundred £ over 10 or 20 years is irrelevant so get a good one. But buy the biggest you can afford. Everyone says they want to move their machines around the workshop - in practice this is best avoided and I would not compromise height for that. If I bought again I would buy an 18" machine, but I am cutting some quite big stuff occasionally. Bandsaws are quite simple machines, I would be pretty indifferent between a 16 or 18" Jet, Axi and 403. For trade use I would buy the 403 or a Hammer.

Thank you very much everyone for your input.
I have managed to see a few of these saws, and the impressions given here are accurate.
I have not seen a RP saw, although the specs seem to suggest it is incredible value for money.
I was less impressed with the Axi 4300 - don't get me wrong a decent machine. The upgraded industrial model looks and feels a little better but ridiculously overpriced in comparison.

Does anyone own a Hammer N3880?

Back