Microwaves & wireless routers

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dedee

Established Member
Reaction score
I mentioned in another thread how much my wireless internet connection was affected by the microwave.
Well yesterday I solved the problem.
Firstly I upgraded the firmware.
Secondly I changed the channel.
Now I can actually surf without any apparent speed degradation while the microwave is on.

The router is a Netgear DG834G and although the manual does suggest changing channels if interference is a problem it does not explain what the channels are. Anyone care to enlighten me? Also how does the computer (mac) now which channel the router is using as I made no changes to the network setup on the computer? If the mac can pick up all/any channels why does the router not transmit on all the channels?

Andy

Andy - microwaves, WLAN, Bluetooth, DECT and other stuff use the unlicensed bit of spectrum know as the ISM (industrial, scientific and medical) band at around 2.4Ghz. The channel is divided into 11 (IIRC) chunks of spectrum. So you can specify which one the router uses - this is particuarly necessary when you have a number of WLAN access points close by so they don't all interfere with each other.
This is happening at the physical (radio) layer and is quite separate to the network layer which governs your network setup.
Sorry a bit rushed - off to bed - baby due to wake up in a few hours ;).
Cheers
Gidon

dedee":1qe7hxc0 said:
Also how does the computer (mac) now which channel the router is using as I made no changes to the network setup on the computer?
Andy

I don't know, Dedee, as I've never used wireless with my Mac but a quick check of Apple support mentions the Airport Admin Utility for changing channels when you need to....but I suspect that there is an option to automatically search for channels and may even be the default setting.

Just think of something like a CB radio.... if you neighbours are shouting to each other on channel 1 your conversation won't get through as it will be getting stepped on. Changing to channel 2 where nobody is will mean your message will get through.

I have all Netgear kit and like you found that after upgrading the firmware increased the speed at which my laptop logged in.

Finally I hope you made sure your network is secure btw. I use MAC authentication so only my lappy can link in and also hid my SSID after I found a neighbours wireless network was totally open. :?

Roger Sinden":1wjkcovc said:
Neomorph":1wjkcovc said:
I use MAC authentication

So we've converted you at last and made you see the error of your *PC* ways !! :wink: :wink: :wink:
Argghh... nooooooooo..... Apple infiltrated my NIC...

Did you know that Microsoft only became bigger than Apple because Steve Jobs didn't bother to go to a meeting with IBM to discuss a new operating system for their new IBM PC along with Bill Gates? Just imagine what it would have been like if he had bothered to go and IBM went with Apple instead.

AppleDOS?? An Apple a day DOS you good?

Forget wiindoze and instead use GEM (remember that - damn Im showing my age). Or maybe have something called AppleSlices...

You wouldn't get all the windoze viruses but instead get worms in your Apple?

*shudders*

Damn I just realised Im gonna get arrested for driving a keyboard under the influence of drugs... (prescribed ones that is 8) )
:lol:

Thanks Gidon - you really ought to have that baby trained better by now :lol:

So by changing the channel the router is now transmitting at 2.4ghz + or - a little bit?

Roger, every time I searched in and around the Max for Airport all that came up were details for the Base Station rather than the inbuilt card.

Neomorph, As far as I understand the router's firewall and security are set at their most secure. I'll admit to taking Zen's word on that.

Andy

gidon":2ygb3uuh said:
Andy - microwaves, WLAN, Bluetooth, DECT and other stuff use the unlicensed bit of spectrum know as the ISM (industrial, scientific and medical) band at around 2.4Ghz.

Although DECT in the UK is 1.9GHz (the US version uses 2.4GHz).

Jim

dedee":2s6qwd32 said:

So by changing the channel the router is now transmitting at 2.4ghz + or - a little bit?

Roger, every time I searched in and around the Max for Airport all that came up were details for the Base Station rather than the inbuilt card.

Neomorph, As far as I understand the router's firewall and security are set at their most secure. I'll admit to taking Zen's word on that.

Andy

1. Set your channel as high as possible, 11 or whatever it is in the UK. If you clash with anyone else, drop it a channel and try again. That way you're away from the bulk of the interference.
2. Create a closed network on your access point, so your SSID isn't being broadcast.
3. Set your wireless security to WPA2 (not WEP). Make sure you use a strong pass phrase for this, or pre-exchanged keys.
4. Set your access point to only accept connections from predefined physical addresses (i.e. NICs). For Macs make sure you push "add this machine" in the Airport admin tool, or you'll lock out your admin machine (smacks forehead).

About as secure as wireless gets.

Chiba,
thanks. I actually went the other way and set the channel to 1 (it was previously 11). What is the advantage of higher channel numbers over lower ones.
I'll experiment when I get home this evening & see if I can confirm the security settings you advised.

Andy

chiba":16egdu7z said:
1. Set your channel as high as possible, 11 or whatever it is in the UK. If you clash with anyone else, drop it a channel and try again. That way you're away from the bulk of the interference.

One slight caveat there - Wifi channels have a fair amount of overlap, and you actually need 5 channels of separation to avoid interference from anything nearly. eg. Channels 1, 6 and 11 can operate in close proximity and not impinge on each other.

Jim

dedee":2knschaq said:

You'd think :). He's decided to now wake up randomly and not go back to sleep!

Yes that's right you're changing the frequency - IIRC each channel is 22Mhz wide. To confuse matters as Jim says these channels overlap. But that's more of a factor for siting many AP's and achieving the maximum throughput.

Cheers

Gidon

Chiba, thanks

chiba":1vn5zxbr said:
I've experimented with other channels & only 11 seems to be interefered with by the microwave. I'll leave at 1 for a few weeks to see what happens
2. Create a closed network on your access point, so your SSID isn't being broadcast.
That's done
3. Set your wireless security to WPA2 (not WEP). Make sure you use a strong pass phrase for this, or pre-exchanged keys.
Wireless security is WPA-PSK (Wi-Fi Protected Access Pre-Shared Key). There is no WPA2. The security key is about 30 characters of letters and numbers.
4. Set your access point to only accept connections from predefined physical addresses (i.e. NICs) For Macs make sure you push "add this machine" in the Airport admin tool, or you'll lock out your admin machine (smacks forehead).
You've got me stumped here as I cannot see where to check this
[/quote]

Gidon, if we got more than 3 nights of interrupted sleep I am afraid to admit we submitted and gave them a small dose of Medised - works wonders for them as well as mum & dad. :oops:

Andy

Hmm, then I think it may be just a Netgear/Airport terminology thing.

I'm using an Airport Extreme (white) base station. In the Airport Admin Utility I can set the wireless security to "WPA2 Personal", and set the encryption type to "WPA2 Only". On the "Access Control" tab I have a place to put in the "Airport ID", which is Apple speak for the MAC address.

Hope this helps.

Sorry Dedee...missed your mention of the Netgear (too Mac-anally retented I am :lol: ).

To setup the wireless access list (which restricts access to your Netgear to only specified machines ie with a given MAC address) go to your Netgear > Wireless Settings > Wireless Access List and away you go

Roger

Roger,
Boy am I having fun.

I found that access list in the wireless set up. Access control was off so I turned it on. There was an unchecked available wireless station, with a MAC address, which I selected then applied the changes. I could then not access the router! nor the internet.

Fortuneately I'm working from home today so plugged my office laptop into the router and changed the wireless settings back.

I guess that the MAC address was wrong so the questing is where do I find the MAC address on the iMac?

Andy

Doh :oops:

I've just re-read Chiba's mail

chiba":3qyphlgn said:
For Macs make sure you push "add this machine" in the Airport admin tool, or you'll lock out your admin machine (smacks forehead).

Did a similar thing on the Netgear router. Works a treat now.

Thanks Guys

Andy ( a little knowledge can be so so dangerous)

dedee":2m0tsyv8 said:

Hehe. :D

Your next mission Jim, should you decide to accept it, it to give your Mac a static IP address. That way you can set up port forwarding so that Bit Torrent will work properly and you can watch Lost. Oops, did I type that out loud? :shock: I mean, so you can sftp in from your laptop in Starbucks to get essential business related documents... 8)

Roger Sinden":15xj34ba said:
Cor..steady on...you'll getting him to VPN in next :wink:

And if that's an Intel iMac, he'll naturally enough want to get the network working on the XP side too. Want to help? :twisted:

Back