Putting the Dewalt DW625EK router into a table

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Robbo

Reaction score
Hi all.
I plan on making a router table. I have a DW625EK 1/2" router which doesn't get a lot of use so was hoping to mount that in the table and ideally I would like to adjust the height and change bits from above the table.
I've looked around a bit and have seen people mention the Router Raizer. This setup described by Woodworkers Workshop looks the kind of thing I had in mind:

But I can't see the Router Raizer for sale anywhere in the UK. So a couple of questions...

1. Does anyone know where I can buy a Router Raizer in the UK? And does anyone have any feedback on how well it works?
2. Is there an alternative product (or products) which will achieve the same objective of getting the 625EK to work in a table?

Or is mounting a this router such a colossal pain in the pineapple in the year 2022 that I should just buy a new fixed base router and lift no matter the (not insignificant!) costs?

Hobby use only by the way.

Kind Regards,
Andy.

Hi Andy

I can't help with locating the items but I have a feeling you possibly can't get hold of them now.
I bought my Router Raiser and an Incra plate from Peter Sefton at The Woodworkers Workshop so Peter might be able to advise, I mounted my DW625ek and it works very well for me (needed the collet extension as well btw). I've had it several years now and while it doesn't get heavy use it's enough to have shown up significant issues so quite happy with it.

Look at the adjusters for the Trend routers, Dewalt apparently make Trend routers for Trend and so these parts might solve your issues. The best way forward and there has been several threads on these forums about routers and tables is to just buy the AUK router motor in the Jessem lift, not cheap at first glance especially as you already have the 625 router. If you use the 625 then you will also need a muscle chuck to make changing cutters easy otherwise you will be fiddling around under the table.

I am also going to mount a Dewalt 625 router under a table and have pre ordered a Jessem Rout/R-Lift Prestige (Metric) router lift and plate from Woodworkers Workshop. This along with an extended 2E muscle chuck collet will allow all adjustments and bit changes from the top of the table. I am awaiting delivery at the moment as they are out of stock. Hope this helps.

I dont think Router Raizer are that bothered about selling their products in the UK. I attempted to contact them via email pre pandemic on two occasions but they did not respond to either contact, leading me to feel that they're put off by the problems associated with shipping overseas. I stand to be corrected😆

For anyone contemplating a router table look back at the many threads that have discussed this topic, it may save you money and frustration in the long term.

When I priced everything up as I am looking to upgrade my Kreg table and Triton router there is not a lot of difference in buying the complete Jessem lift with the AUK router motor which is ready to go compared to a Jessem prestige, Muscle chuck and a Triton router, the Dewalt being more expensive narrows the gap unless you already have the router. The AUK motor being clamped round it's waist I believe offers a better solution than using a plunge router on a lift, just less moving parts and only the essentials. As I already have the Triton router I have thought about using this in the Jessem Prestige lift as for me it is a cheaper option but I have had issues with vibration which I put down to the Triton, refitting the spring noticably improved the situation but with the spring people have had issues with a plastic gear inside that allows the knob to lift the router so financially it points me in one direction but from an engineering perspective the other.

I mounted that model router onto a UJK plate and used the Woodrat plungebar to lift and lower the spindle PlungeBar — WoodRat .
At approx £40 it is considerably cheaper.
It is a coarse, but quick adjustment.
Fine adjustment is achieved by using a box spanner on a replacement nut on the height adjustment threaded bar.
The plungebar can raise the spindle fully up, for tool changes.
It works fine for hobby use.

Thank you to everyone who's replied. There are some other options there for me to look at.
But ineed to some degree this just highlights my problem - as ever the answer appears to be "it depends".

Having done it many, many times in the past I now have an absolute loathing of "buy cheap buy twice". The corollary to that of course is that I fail to be inventive with what I have (or can get cheap). Betwixt and between :confused:

As always, getting something (good) secondhand or on a deal is preferable but that will depend on the exacy moment of purchase.
The retails cost of each of the solutions you've all kindly mentioned is shown below.

UJK Router Elevator £430
Axcalibur Router Collet Extension £45
Total = £475

JessEm Rout-R-Lift Prestige £310
Musclechuck Quick Change Chuck Type 2E £80
Total = £390

WoodRat Plungebar £39
UJK 10mm Aluminium Router Table Insert c/w Universal Base £149
Total £188

JessEm Mast-R-Lift II (Metric) with AUKTools 2400W Fixed Base Router £665
Total = £665

Have I missed any other parts that might alter these prices?

Kind Regards,
Andy.

Hi @Robbo

I am afraid my video is a few years old now and the Router Raizer is no longer available, we ceased being able to get hold of them about three years ago but to be honest most customers where choosing the buy the JessEm Prestige lift instead as it's such an excellent product. If you are interested in the Prestige it might be worth hitting the buy button as that sale price was a special for March and someone has forgotten to put it back to its normal price :oops:it will be rectified this week this week.

Our new AUK routers will now be coming with ER20 collets, I think a first for the UK.

Cheers

Peter

An observation.
The DeWalt DW625 router fitted in an Axminster router lift (or anyone else's I suspect) is a lousy solution.
A significant depth is lost because of the lift mechanism. This makes it a pain to change cutters and means that you'll be using longer bits or extending the spindle with something. Either way, having extra leverage due to an extended cutter or spindle isn't a good thing mechanically.
The DW625 isn't a bad device under a board on it's own as it has a plunge lock on one column and a screw depth adjust the other side so it is supported on both sides as it hangs. This makes it one of the better choices for an impromptu inverted routing, but in a router lift a plunge router isn't the best solution. Look at the AUK or a fixed base model like one of the Boschs.

I have had the 625 mounted in a self made cabinet with a Rutlands top for many years and all I done was to add a new height adjuster handle and that worked fine, however I needed a bit more floor space and just bought the Trend bench top table and that also works fine.

it was quite hard turning the adjusting handle as the higher you raised the bit more tension was put on the spring therefore it did put strain on the wrist, however I either read or seen somewhere that you could remove the spring, which I did and for me this has worked well, only thing or drawback I have noticed is that with the vibration the adjusting handle works loose so you have to ensure that you have locked the height lock lever tightly.

Have to say I’m only a DIYer and probobly don’t work anywhere near the tolerances or level of accuracy that you guys achieve.

Just thought I’d share what works for me.

Regards
Phil

Just found this oldish thread re the Router Raizer , did a search on www and found that Rockler sell it now , which may help someone especially if a trip over seas is coming up , can be posted to uk though via the Rockler site by the looks of it ( see pics) by costs quite a bit in postage and import tax £174.32

Think I’m going to keep using the height adj from underneath for the moment

Attachments

• D588AB1F-DBDC-47D7-8E8D-32F65DE9B180.png
    D588AB1F-DBDC-47D7-8E8D-32F65DE9B180.png
    2.4 MB · Views: 0
  • 7BEB9367-BB10-479E-AE91-CD0420AC84E7.png
    7BEB9367-BB10-479E-AE91-CD0420AC84E7.png
    553.8 KB · Views: 0
Back