Micro-Fence?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The Woodworkers Workshop was the disto. Roger can get most things even if he's not currently stocking it. He's got really good contacts in the US.

I've always wanted a microfence....

Thanks Tom, I've pinged them and email to see if it's still available - Rob

Edit - just had a phone call from Roger...loads in stock on the shelf, about £175 - Rob

I've bene tempted once or twice Rob, but £175????

Too much for me - the fence on my router is pretty impressive and for £25 more I got a free router when I bought it :wink:

woodbloke":20rwoeql said:
...loads in stock on the shelf, about £175

:-k Very tempted but that might test my smuggling skills to the limit......I wonder when she's going away :-k :lol:

Cheers :wink:

Paul

Rob - at £175, i'm not surprised he's got loads on the shelf !

Paul - you could always get it shipped to me :lol:

Cheers

Karl

yeh I've always thought it was too expensive, even when the dollar was good. Most of what it is can be DIY'd. Steve has done something similar.

When they fist came out F&C did a review and were suitably impressed, but it's a few years ago now. I know I remember seeing one at one of the Axminster shows but couldn't get near it 'cos there were hoards of people round it trying to have a look so it was very difficult. I'm thinking of replacing my old Bosch router which is ten years old (or maybe older) so may be due for replacement...nice Festool maybe with a Microfence? Reviews offered on that particular router don't rate the fence highly, so I was a pondering (as you do) that this might be a pretty good combination - Rob

woodbloke":65s3k1ve said:
so may be due for replacement...nice Festool maybe with a Microfence?

You haven't won the Lottery and not told us, have you Rob??? You're planning some nice machinery upgrades... :lol:

Cheers

Karl

Rob, if you look in "Cutting-edge Cabinetmaking", Robert Ingham uses the Microfence, so you can bet it's good and highly accurate :wink:

Paul

Hi Rob, MrT has got one and it is indeed a very good accurate piece of kit. He is a professional cabinetmaker though and can possibly justify the investment, bit harder for a hobbyist. Maybe worthwhile PMing him for his thoughts on it.
Cheers John

It takes an awful lot of guesswork out of routing. I don't think it's all that expensive. Couple, say, a DW615 with a microfence and you have a system that knocks a Festool OF1010 into a cocked hat (IMO) for less money. It can save money in many ways. I had to plough some 20mm grooves recently and only had an 18mm cutter. Rather than reaching for the catalogues, it was nice to be able to dial in an extra 2mm with absolute precision. Set-up times are reduced. Do a trial cut, measure it then adjust accordingly. No need for further tests. Just get on with it. It's just a brilliant piece of kit and I have never regretted the decision to buy. All of Richard Wedler's stuff is just so beautifully and thoughtfully put together. Handle it once and you'll be converted!

John

Paul Chapman":2w0fzujw said:
Rob, if you look in "Cutting-edge Cabinetmaking", Robert Ingham uses the Microfence, so you can bet it's good and highly accurate :wink:

Paul
Hi Paul - I know...that's what got me thinking in a round about sort of way. RI bought one immediately as soon as they came out, I'll have to ask him about it personally on 01 Aug :wink: :wink: - Rob

If anyone's in any doubt I had an email from Robert this morning:

"...I can strongly recommend it. It is extremely well engineered working
to an accuracy level of point one of a millimetre. I have adapted
one to move the fence on my router table as well. Have a look at
their website www.microfence.com. There are quite a few jigs and
adaptations that are associated with it."

Good enough for me :wink: - Rob

For the benefit of the forum moderator this response is not a sales email, it is just a case of telling people that Micro Fence & Wood Workers Workshop do take on board comments that get posted here.

Thanks for all the compliments and the "it costs to much comments" regarding the Micro Fence.

First of all I normally have stock of Micro Fence product.

As I am kindness personified I pass the costs and the savings on, I genuinely try and track the US prices and believe me it is not easy as freight rates have gone up about 25% over the last 12 months due to the excursions of the Dollar, oil and airline freight charges, the latter have not come down in fact they have progressed upwards.

So with a policy of trying to reflect US prices plus shipping costs let me provide a little background on where those prices have been since the beginning of 2008 through until now.

The current cost of a Micro Fence is not £175.00 but £165.00, the exchange rate has improved but if you go back a year the price was around £140.00 and then the rot set in around July.

When the dollar was strong a few weeks back the price was £195.00, so as you can see the exchange rate affects my business and what I charge.

But it is not all gloom and doom as Richard Wedler, the owner of Micro Fence, has asked if I would like to participate in a Micro Fence Sales Campaign, which means price savings!

So in the next few days you can expect to see something come through where savings can be made for those who understand investing in quality tools. Remember there is no such thing in life as a free lunch and to get top quality you have to pay so we hope people feel our offers will be worthwhile!

Just in passing let me plant a little thought. Here in the UK there are a considerable number of woodworkers who already own Micro Fence equipment. They have purchased them at various prices, depending on the exchange rate, but they all did it because they wanted a quality tool that gave them the right results every time they used it.

In fact to quote the words of Robert Ingham:

"It didn't take me long to be convinced that here was a system that
extends the potential of the router into realms of accuracy and control
that the machine rightfully demands. It will make your use of the router
so much easier and more enjoyable and will extend options for the
development of your skills and expertise."

So watch this space and in the meantime if you want a copy of the Micro Fence DVD or a current price list please give me a call on 01491 629 699.

Back