Michelin CrossClimate + tyres

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Spragnut":1n415eo4 said:
I had some cross climate plus fitted on all corners of my front wheel drive car on Friday morning, approximately 8 hours before the snow came, they performed flawlessly, a massively impressive set of tyres in winter conditions. Going down a steep hill just on the brakes completely under control, with no abs assistance. Pulled away from a few junctions as if it wasn't snowing, no traction control. Then up another steep hill that was void of any traffic other than 4x4s.

Loads of rain today and they feel brilliant in the wet aswell. Obviously haven't tested them in the dry as yet.

I'm a convert. They will be my tyre of choice from now on. Not cheap but definitely worth it, was the difference between getting home and being stranded somewhere.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

That's very encouraging. What car do you have out of curiosity ?

Pirelli Scorpion Verde all-season tyres on my 4x4

Just had 2 new ones on the front that have lasted about 25000 miles(i think- maybe a bit more). There was plenty of tread left, but they seemed to have lost their grip. Was really happy with their performance so replaced them like for like. Have to say the new ones are excellent. In last weeks snow, never put a wheel wrong.

When i had the original set put on, a couple of weeks later I was coming over the A66 (penrith to scotch corner). It was quite a few inches deep, pretty much a blizzard, snow gates closed on the east side when i got there. I don't think they slipped once - thats good enough for me.

They also handle great in the wet, give pretty good economy and road noise levels, and seem to be about as a good a compromise without moving to full winter tyres.

phil.p":3b35xtfd said:
The motoring pages of the Saturday Telegraph always maintain that a set of winter tyres makes more difference than four wheel drive.

I had a full set of winter wheels and tyres 10 years ago for my BMW 320 and while they definitely made a lot of difference, the car was still very difficult on ice and snow. I think rear wheel drive with sports suspension, large wheels and thin runflats aren't the best combination in those conditions.

Also had a set for my wifes' Mini which was fwd and that car could easily go where my BM couldn't :lol: Don't bother these days, if it's bad I have every confidence in mine.

I assume from the Telegraph quote that 4wd with all seasons or winter tyres are an even better combination then.

RogerS":215aw10y said:
Spragnut":215aw10y said:
I had some cross climate plus fitted on all corners of my front wheel drive car on Friday morning, approximately 8 hours before the snow came, they performed flawlessly, a massively impressive set of tyres in winter conditions. Going down a steep hill just on the brakes completely under control, with no abs assistance. Pulled away from a few junctions as if it wasn't snowing, no traction control. Then up another steep hill that was void of any traffic other than 4x4s.

Loads of rain today and they feel brilliant in the wet aswell. Obviously haven't tested them in the dry as yet.

I'm a convert. They will be my tyre of choice from now on. Not cheap but definitely worth it, was the difference between getting home and being stranded somewhere.

That's very encouraging. What car do you have out of curiosity ?
Vauxhall Signum, basically a slightly different variant of a Vectra.

Check out tyre reviews channel on YouTube, he does a really good comparison of 4wd on summer and front wheel drive on winter.

Once I've checked confirmed the tyre size on my wife's car there'll be a set on order for her car aswell.

I had a set of Michelin primacy 4 on previously, probably only 8-9k miles and got stuck on the icy path that crosses infront of our drive, just wheel spinning, it was loosing traction at pretty much idle.

The difference really is night and day. I imagine what another person was saying about not a huge difference on a rwd car is fairly common. Being there's no weight over the rear wheels, I'd be tempted to sling 4 or 5 bags of ballast in the boot during the winter!

Lons":312sostn said:
phil.p":312sostn said:
The motoring pages of the Saturday Telegraph always maintain that a set of winter tyres makes more difference than four wheel drive.

I had a full set of winter wheels and tyres 10 years ago for my BMW 320 and while they definitely made a lot of difference, the car was still very difficult on ice and snow. I think rear wheel drive with sports suspension, large wheels and thin runflats aren't the best combination in those conditions.

Also had a set for my wifes' Mini which was fwd and that car could easily go where my BM couldn't :lol: Don't bother these days, if it's bad I have every confidence in mine.

I assume from the Telegraph quote that 4wd with all seasons or winter tyres are an even better combination then.
Haha, in my last job we had "operation bmw rescue" every winter - basically just towing bmws out of car parks and up hills....

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Lons":1jpvkbv9 said:
manglitter":1jpvkbv9 said:
Just south of Alnwick, we get the best of the best and worst of the worst weather wise [GRINNING FACE WITH SMILING EYES]Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Not too far from me, I'm 6 miles north of Morpeth.
SammyQ":1jpvkbv9 said:
Greetings from Alnwick! I'm a 'blow-in'. .got here on 5th October.
Sam
Moved to swarland last april

Only 10 minutes or so away in Longhorsley, sometimes take our granddaughter to the playground there and occasionally the missus meets up with a couple of friends at the coffee shop.

RogerS":1hhcbhiu said:
Beau":1hhcbhiu said:
Winter tyres are far better in the wet as well. We use them all year round. Better in snow, ice and the wet and just a slight compromise with noise and ware in the dry. Admittedly we do very few long journeys and it's mainly short trip on the soggy Devon lanes.

Many thanks. Which tyres do you use and type of car ?

I just go with whatever the garage recommends for good value. Not the cheapest or most expensive. First set we had on a Peugeot 306 were Kleber. Just been out to have a look on the current Volvo V40 and it's got Genaral on the front and Kumho on the rears. Sorry dont know the model for any of them. The revelation was winters over regular tyres but not noticed a vast difference between the brands we have had. I do mean revelation though.
When we first gave them a go was a harsh winter and our Lanes got icier and snowier day by day (we live in the sticks so never see a gritter). Asked the garage about winter tyres and they said they had one pair of the Klebers that would fit. We managed to tip toe into town and get them fitted. Drove back like the roads were clear passing several cars that were getting stuck. I found in the ice I would rather drive the Peugeot with the winters than the Landrover as the Landrover would still squirm on the ice and we only had the winters on the front! My understanding of why they work so well in the ice and snow is not so much the tread but the rubber compound remains supple at low temps. The down side is higher wear rate but cant say we have noticed the later as we tend to get a puncture from rocks in the lanes before ever running out of tread depth.

I'm running Michelin CrossClimates on my Skoda Octavia VRS estate (225/40/18). I honestly wouldn't use any other kind of tyre now. I've done 36k on them. One of their selling points is the additional mileage you get out them.

I think they are awesome. Certainly in the snow, as an all weather tyre. As you know, they are a summer tyre rated for winter use. I used to use Michelin Pilot Sports on my previous cars, and these are just as good in the dry and wet, with the additional benefit of allowing progress in snow. Mine have been faultless.

Recently convinced a guy at work to get them on his Subaru BRZ, and he is really impressed so far as well. Also got a couple of friends to fit them too.

You won't be disappointed in them.

Edited to add - They won't wear out quicker in the warmer temperatures, and they are not detrimental to fuel consumption. I return about 60mpg. I'd say they're one of the quietest tyres I've had on my cars.

Grawschbags":37fun01i said:
Edited to add - They won't wear out quicker in the warmer temperatures, and they are not detrimental to fuel consumption. I return about 60mpg. I'd say they're one of the quietest tyres I've had on my cars.

Sorry but that is impossible. Winter tyres with softer rubber will use more fuel and will wear out quicker on hot dry roads. They should be quieter though.

Rorschach":173osabt said:
Grawschbags":173osabt said:

Sorry but that is impossible. Winter tyres with softer rubber will use more fuel and will wear out quicker on hot dry roads. They should be quieter though.
The crossclimate isn't a winter tyre, it's a winter biased summer tyre!

manglitter":1ebev2wk said:
Rorschach":1ebev2wk said:
Grawschbags":1ebev2wk said:

The crossclimate isn't a winter tyre, it's a winter biased summer tyre!

That still makes it softer than a summer tyre.

Rorschach":8jaqtxqs said:
Grawschbags":8jaqtxqs said:

Not impossible. Go and read the blurb related to the tyre. It is a summer tyre, rated for winter use. The fact I have done 36k miles in 2 years on the same tyres would suggest that it doesn't degrade.

They do vary also by manufacturer and car type. I got only 10000 miles out of the original continentals on an A4 avant quatro which was ridiculous, changed them for Michelin pilot sport and the guy who bought the car from me has now covered another 26000 on those and plenty of life left.

The fact I've always enough mileage out of other cars / tyres suggests it's not my driving at fault. :wink:

Grawschbags":2aawy0jf said:
Not impossible. Go and read the blurb related to the tyre. It is a summer tyre, rated for winter use. The fact I have done 36k miles in 2 years on the same tyres would suggest that it doesn't degrade.

So it's an all season tyre then :roll:

Rorschach":3486vzar said:
Grawschbags":3486vzar said:

Please don't turn this thread into a 'sharpening' debate.

In my original post I specifically asked if anyone had these tyres and what they thought of them. And I'm pleased to see that several members have them and are very happy with them.

I have both summer and winter tyres on seperate rims for my MB E estate and last year didnt remove the winters during the summer and I didnt notice a huge difference in handling or wear. wide low profile tyres of any type are not good in snow

RogerS":2tb1uy8b said:
Please don't turn this thread into a 'sharpening' debate.

Aw spoilsport Roger, might reach 348 pages like another thread that shall remain nameless. :lol:

Rorschach":3s1jyjus said:
Grawschbags":3s1jyjus said:

Well yes... I don't believe anyone has said otherwise.

Lons":2bl4par2 said:
My wife has a BMW 325 ci that she bought new 15 or 16 years ago. It has now done well over 400,000 km. We have had no real problems and we have snow and ice for 4 or 5 months of the year. Then again, we have real winter tyres that are not allowed in the UK. (We have studs).
The only winter-related problem we have had with the car is twice this winter when it has been particularly cold the heater fan has frozen. To bring this back towards woodwork, if not the thread topic, I drove this car the other day to my woodwork evening class. 15km each way on back roads on snow and ice in a soft-top car with no heater in temperatures of -32C. Does that count as dedication, addiction, or stupidity?

Yes, We have had some 4WD vehicles with winter tyres and they are better generally, so long as you remember 4WD doesn't reduce your braking distance. IMHO The need for 4WD is less now than a few years ago though. Traction control systems are now good enough that for normal driving 4WD rarely provides much advantage and we no longer have a 4WD.

Back