MFT worktops, uses etc

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Spectric

Staff member
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
Hi all

What are people using their MFT worktops for, what do they deliver and pros / cons please. I have seen the Parf system that allows you to make a board with a matrix of holes and the metal pins that fit in them but whats the big positives for them. So far the best use I have seen is a guy with a router fixed in one and a clever jig that makes radius templates, https://www.google.com/search?ei=WK...B8wQ4dUDCAw#kpvalbx=_d6aAX9SiGoLDxgO4-LvICA13

Then what are the best accessories that make it more useful? All info much appreciated.

I would suggest watching the videos by Peter Millard of this forum on YouTube which will give you a pretty good idea. They make a great pairing with a tracksaw for reproducible cuts.

you can also get replacement MFT tops pre drilled by cnc in numerous places online.

For me, in my small 10x4 space, it's the flexibility and versatility that makes them great. Besides jig work and cross cutting as mentioned, you can use all manner of clamps and work holding "things"
16022683761091575824464927308950.jpg

Rip narrow lengths of whatever with parallel guides
16022688283272600710283581659761.jpg

Put planing stops anywhere you like
16022690192584447227990099490004.jpg

They just open up a lot of possibilities really.

Can you point me in the direction of videos by Peter Millard, the only ones I can find relate to tracksaws. I can see yours has done a lot of work by all the cuts, and the pictures certainly make you think of possibilities. A useful one for me would be holding / clamping assemlies square whilst the glue dries. What are the best places for reasonably priced clamps and the "dogs" ?

firstly, the mft top. as you know, it is a piece of (generally) MDF with precision holes in. you place in these holes dogs of which there are many available, some competing with each other and some that claim to be unique. www.benchdogs.co.uk seem a good company, I have just got their rail square and so have spent a couple of weeks researching the different options.

so you have the top and some dogs, this will allow you to cut boards square, and to 45 degrees. You can find other systems that will achieve the same, or improve the action- eg clips to hold the rail. explains it well- I was confused and asked Peter a couple of questions so this may have inspired the video.

from benchdogs you can buy a fence system. I plan to do this but am hoping there will be another Black Friday sale! This adds the advantage that you can get repeatable cuts (you need a couple of extra dogs for this too).

Secondly, the MFT is a prepackage kit designed by festool. It has been around years but the aftermarket parts such as the fence above are relatively recent to the market. The MFT folds down, it does a few more things than the top and parts alone- such as different angled cuts and you have some clamping possibilities. You would need to price this up and see whether you would need those functions. The price rules it out for me because it only gets occasional use but I can't write it off as a business expense.

The MFT excels at cutting sheet goods accurately and squarely. The top alone, supported on saw horses or even on beaters on the ground can be made equally as suitable. It can be used for other things such as solid timber and it does well when cutting it. it would not be suitable for hand planing, it is just not designed for that.

You could also use it for clamping and assembly work. I have used my top a fair bit for sanding on because I can take everything outside and work in the sun. I have used veritas clamps (wonder pups?) and they work ok. I already had them, I wouldn't necessarily recommend buying them for this application. You could use clamps in the holes whilst glue dries, but you then can't move the piece until it has.

I have found that I can do most processing, assembly and finishing things on the top on saw horses. The few things that I cannot, I find a workaround (generally do them somewhere else). If I was working with sheet goods, I would say that I could go from start to finish on it- cut full sheet down, make components (will be easier and quicker with the fence), sand, cut joints (whether domino, biscuits, pocket screws or butt joints), assemble, finish.

For me, in my small 10x4 space, it's the flexibility and versatility that makes them great. Besides jig work and cross cutting as mentioned, you can use all manner of clamps and work holding "things"
View attachment 93928
Rip narrow lengths of whatever with parallel guides

Put planing stops anywhere you like
View attachment 93930
They just open up a lot of possibilities really.

where are your planing stops from?

I'm building an MFT-like workbench to use as a mobile assembly table and workbench for my hand-held power tools that can be connected to a vacuum instead of the shop dust collection system. My workbench is derived from Ryan's BF/MFT, but will be 1 x 2 meters instead of a full sheet of MDF.

This is Part 1 of a four part video series of the BF/MFT:

Like Ryan's workbench, the frame of mine will be made with 40x40mm and 40x80mm aluminum extrusion. However, I don't have access to the source he used and must rely on a German vendors. I chose item24 because I can create the design on their website, place the order online, and wait for a ready to assemble kit. The online engineering tool develops the parts list of all cut and drilled extrusion and assembly hardware.

Here is the 3D view of my workbench from the vendor's online CAD tool.

Item24-Mike-XL.jpg

Hi all

What are people using their MFT worktops for, what do they deliver and pros / cons please. I have seen the Parf system that allows you to make a board with a matrix of holes and the metal pins that fit in them but whats the big positives for them. So far the best use I have seen is a guy with a router fixed in one and a clever jig that makes radius templates, https://www.google.com/search?ei=WK...B8wQ4dUDCAw#kpvalbx=_d6aAX9SiGoLDxgO4-LvICA13

Then what are the best accessories that make it more useful? All info much appreciated.
If you go to the FOG there are a few of the items I have made with the 96mm grid, the post is over 10 years old and I have added a few more things since then. 96mm grid system It was long before any of the easy to use guides were available so I used the LR-32 to make my own.

You are limiting yourself if you are trying to think of how to use a single surface. I started with 2 work tops and 4 sawhorse, since then I’ve added another work surface got the parf rulers & drilling bits and now any top in my shop gets a set of 3mm holes so I can add the 20mm ones anywhere they are useful. This can vary from locating holes for a machine base to another clamping surface.

Can you point me in the direction of videos by Peter Millard, the only ones I can find relate to tracksaws...
Videos 182 and 183 cover the MFT basics, and as @marcros posted the current one compares the MFT/MFT top to a rail square for square cuts, and gives the pros and cons of each approach. If I get time over the weekend I’ll put a playlist together that gathers all the MFT-related videos in one place, and let you know when it’s done.

And thanks @marcros for the questions - they come up quite often, and yours certainly gave me the push to put my thoughts on video. 👍👍

Edited to add: MFT & MFT-related accessories playlist here - MFT and MFT-related accessories

Last edited:
where are your planing stops from?
They're just some 6mm anodised dogs
16023204019287044122806277491974.jpg

They came from the states I think but benchdogs.co.uk do similar sizes.

Other planing stops are available:
16023205432796700052909106032487.jpg

Chunkier ones from benchdogs.co.uk and these from Veritas
16023206204692720174004671823976.jpg

They're great in that the dogs can be moved to accommodate different needs... but they do like to rust
16023207053795245455896486772353.jpg

Hi all

thanks for the info, got me thinking and at one point I was looking at building a workbench design by Ron Paulk, this also uses holes but in a different pattern, may help others with an MFT style Paulk bench, although it is aimed at carpenters working on site who want portability and router table, saws etc. Most UK house builders would not know what a router is though! Am now looking at a MFT style top to address several jobs that have been hanging around and it may assist.

https://www.thisiscarpentry.com/2011/09/09/the-ultimate-work-bench/

Roy, have you seen the Youtube videos by Hooked on Wood?

Here is Part 1 of his workbench build that incorporates a router table and MFT-style layout.

Hi all

thanks for the info, got me thinking and at one point I was looking at building a workbench design by Ron Paulk, this also uses holes but in a different pattern, may help others with an MFT style Paulk bench, although it is aimed at carpenters working on site who want portability and router table, saws etc. Most UK house builders would not know what a router is though! Am now looking at a MFT style top to address several jobs that have been hanging around and it may assist.

I do like the table saw integration! Very neat, also the 'pockets' which give the rigidity - allow access under the MFT for access
to table related accessories.

Hi Mike, I like your design. One suggestion I would make is to avoid having six wheels on it. I have a very similar though not as beautiful bench which had six wheels- I eventually made the frame stiffer and got rid of the middle pair. This is because my workshop floor is not particularly flat, and the six wheels were never all in contact at once. I use the bench to glue up on etc, so it is important that the top is flat.
If your floor is very flat, ignore the above!
Pete
I'm building an MFT-like workbench to use as a mobile assembly table and workbench for my hand-held power tools that can be connected to a vacuum instead of the shop dust collection system. My workbench is derived from Ryan's BF/MFT, but will be 1 x 2 meters instead of a full sheet of MDF.

This is Part 1 of a four part video series of the BF/MFT:

Like Ryan's workbench, the frame of mine will be made with 40x40mm and 40x80mm aluminum extrusion. However, I don't have access to the source he used and must rely on a German vendors. I chose item24 because I can create the design on their website, place the order online, and wait for a ready to assemble kit. The online engineering tool develops the parts list of all cut and drilled extrusion and assembly hardware.

Here is the 3D view of my workbench from the vendor's onlin

@MikeK out of interest, what size is a full sheet in germany? Are you on the metric equivalent of an 8x4 or something else?

@MikeK out of interest, what size is a full sheet in germany? Are you on the metric equivalent of an 8x4 or something else?
In Germany, there are several sizes of full sheet for plywood and MDF. The smallest is 2500x1250mm, which is the equivalent of an 8x4 foot sheet. The largest full sheet of MDF I've seen is 4100 x 2070, and I think there is at least one size between these.

Hi Mike, I like your design. One suggestion I would make is to avoid having six wheels on it. I have a very similar though not as beautiful bench which had six wheels- I eventually made the frame stiffer and got rid of the middle pair. This is because my workshop floor is not particularly flat, and the six wheels were never all in contact at once. I use the bench to glue up on etc, so it is important that the top is flat.
If your floor is very flat, ignore the above!
Pete

I thought about the six wheels as well, because my basement floor is tiled and not uniformly flat. I can remove the two inner wheels and slide the corner wheels in if there is too much flex in the extrusion.

Roy, have you seen the Youtube videos by Hooked on Wood?

Here is Part 1 of his workbench build that incorporates a router table and MFT-style layout.

Hi Mike

That is some engineering that has gone into that workbench, it has left the original festool MFT bench in the dark ages and taken it into another era, the German engineering is obvious and it has really been thought out well to make a really adaptable system for a small space. I like his use of laminating ply to make the frame rather than use solid timber, obviously more stable. I was still not getting the purpose of the MFT worktop concept, the original MFT system is part of the Festool approach and is ideal for small workspaces to allow cutting of sheet goods but I don't use Festool products and for me has more negatives than positives. But this guy has really opened up the potential and been thinking from another angle, the vertical MFT front has so many possibilities and is one area that has caused me issues especially when needing to hold work upright for doweling.

Do you know what material he is using, that dark almost composite looking stuff?

Back