metal strips for Anti Racking?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bugbear

Established Member
Reaction score
I have a couple of (rather old) MFI book cases, simple things,
where the shelves sit on pins in the uprights.

Nothing connects the 2 uprights except the shelves.

The design would rack like hell, except for a couple
of (supplied) metal strips, around 5 feet long, 1/12" thick, 1/2" wide, that affix (screw at each end)
diagonally across the back. Not exactly Chippendale, but
works fine.

I just acquired (very cheaply :D ) another
similar bookcase, but no anti-racking strips came with it.

I can find proper wholesale metal work suppliers who
stock what I need, but "at a cost".

Can anyone think of a convenient and cheap
retail supply of something-that-would-work?

It's probably more a question of getting the purchase
overhead low, as opposed to the actual cost of the item.

I thought of aluminium curtain track, but it's all
plastic these days...

Sadly, I think (used, natch) metal package strapping is a little too thin.
The price would be right!

BugBear

Hi BB

Two diagonal braces on packaging strapping will work.

B&Q have metal in 1 meter lengths, its a bit expensive but for one length its o/k.

Pete

Like Pete said for B&Q if you have no better sources. (I've bought similar stuff from scrapyards in the past.)

But it does not have to be metal. I think a couple of laths would work the same way - most of the effect is from being in tension.
There is probably enough space behind the shelves for something about 12 to 18 mm thick. You could even add extra screws through into the back edges of the shelves at the same time, assuming you don't ever need to adjust them once the thing is built.

I acquire used Venetian Blinds when I see them on Boot sales, but only if the slats are of wood. I have used these slats for just that purpose, and for many others.

I've used Nigels (Nanscomb) solution to good affect on some rough and ready salvaged bits in the past. As long as you don't need to disassemble , might I suggest gluing and bradding the masonite in place. Got some solid shelves in the basement that used to sway like a stripper after a tip in this manner.

scholar":1uyx04fd said:
BB

Have you looked at Ikea?

For their utility shelving they sell cross braces that are wire - they work v effectively.

Look at Ivar which seems to be the current range incarnation. Here is the brace http://www.ikea.com/gb/en/catalog/products/87749600/ £2 to you!

cheers

PS looking again, perhaps your unit is too wide?

Yes, they'd be too short. Worse, my nearest Ikea is around 90 miles away.

BugBear

Eric The Viking":1dghetry said:
+1 for builder's band. Once you have some you'll find many uses for it, e.g. brackets for DX hose, etc. Cuts easily with tin shears.

I was going to suggest this, but I think it'll be too flimsy. It needs to have compressive strength as well.

A drywall supplier ? We've used thin metal strips that stop metal stud walls racking. These would work on a bookcase easily

Grayorm":no97wjdo said:
Eric The Viking":no97wjdo said:
+1 for builder's band. Once you have some you'll find many uses for it, e.g. brackets for DX hose, etc. Cuts easily with tin shears.

I was going to suggest this, but I think it'll be too flimsy. It needs to have compressive strength as well.

I doesn't need compressive strength - for it to need compressive strength, it would have to stretch across the other diagonal - which the other band prevents.

Latest posts

Back