Metal plate depth setting gauge for routers?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lockwood

Reaction score
Hello all,

Does anyone know of an off-the-shelf steel/aluminum plate depth setting gauge for routers?

I want to be able to quickly set up my plunge router to cut a fairly accurate 1.0mm hinge recess. The kind of thing I'm looking for would work on the same principle as , but be made of metal and preferably be small. If it also had incremental settings for other depths (perhaps 0.5mm increments from 0mm to 5.0mm) that would also be great, as it could help with other tasks.

Has anybody come across anything that might fit the bill?

Many thanks,

Jonathan

If you're looking to make a jig, then Trend, CMT and probably lots of others make depth gauges which would be worth having a look at.
Maybe on the hooked on wood channel there might be something?

Last edited:
I just use drill bits...got them in 0,5mm steps from 1,5 to 13mm and trap them between the adjuster screw and it's turret although as Woody say's above me, when cutting a recess for a hinge it's easiest to sit your router (with the required bit already fitted) on a flat surface and lock it off with the cutter touching that surface then just trap the hinge between the adjusting screw and its turret and lock those off too. You can now plunge the exact depth required. ;)

Last edited:
Hello all,

Does anyone know of an off-the-shelf steel/aluminum plate depth setting gauge for routers?

I want to be able to quickly set up my plunge router to cut a fairly accurate 1.0mm hinge recess. The kind of thing I'm looking for would work on the same principle as , but be made of metal and preferably be small. If it also had incremental settings for other depths (perhaps 0.5mm increments from 0mm to 5.0mm) that would also be great, as it could help with other tasks.

Has anybody come across anything that might fit the bill?

Many thanks,

Jonathan

These are well reviewed (though I don't own any)
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/401570120042

I agree with those who have said use the part to set the depth. If you must use a tool then just Google depth gauge, You would probably want to get an 8 inch one for the plate to be wide enough to span the hole in the router plate. They are less than a fiver, and if you only want to use it for this then just cut the measuring bar down as appropriate.

Attachments

• 1009852963.jpg
    1009852963.jpg
    58.6 KB · Views: 8
Thank you everybody for your input, I'll look into all the different options that are out there. I've been using the time-honoured approach of using the item itself in the router turret stop, but my employee finds this challenging so I was just posting to find out if there was a easier way out there.

Many thanks all,

Jonathan

Back