Metal framed built in fixings

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

memzey

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone.

I have been asked to change the wardrobe doors in our bedroom. If I had a bit more time I’d replace the carcasses as well but that will be a project for another day I think. I will be using concealed hinges for a full overlay look as is the case with the current doors. So that all seems nice and straight forward so far right? Well the tricky thing is that the frame which the hinges will fix to isn’t timber or a sheet material rather it is a metal extrusion (pics below).

The cup hinges are screwed to some sort of metal plate that mates with the extrusion which is then tightened when it’s in place. I can see the thought behind doing that but am completely stumped as to where I can find those plates. I’d re-use the existing ones however some are completely broken and all are past their best. Has anyone seen this kind of arrangement before who can give me some pointers on where to find the parts or give any other useful advice?

Thanks in advance for any help!

MNJ2auF.jpg

ZF6cmqS.jpg

iz3CL36.jpg

I’d given that idea some thought as well bob but I don’t think that there is any way of fixing the wood without making it look like a dogs dinner. If I can’t find the fixings it might be a rip out job which I just haven’t got the time for this side of Christmas (the doors need to be done in time for Christmas).

I’ll have that as a plan B then (or C) but I’d really rather get some replacement fixings if possible. Hopefully someone who has seen these before will respond with his/her input.

I've tried searching for metal channel wardrobe door hinge systems but just getting sliding door gear.
Have you tried sending some pictures to Hafele and similar outfits to see if they recognise them.
I think the problem is that they have used diecast parts which are inherently weak when localised stress is involved and not surprising that they have failed and quite possibly the failure rate could have killed off the product.

Memzey, if you can extract just one of these "internal fixing plates" which isn't broken, it should be easy enough to copy them.

And assuming that the qty involved is only in the 10s (say max 20s?) that shouldn't take too long either. From the pic I GUESS the threads involved (to take new or refurbishes hinges) will be something like an ISO standard 4 or 5mm. So by no means an impossible job, though doubtless a bit boring if there's too many of them.

HTH

Edit for P.S. And if those existing plates ARE die cast "monkey metal" (quite likely I should think) you could at the same time "bomb-proof" them for the future by using, say, steel or brass, or even (thicker if poss) anodised ali strip as the base material. As said, a bit of a boring and somewhat repetitious job, but nothing too difficult and you could easily set up a cut off jig and a drilling/tapping jig. "Easy peasy" ?

Latest posts

Back