Metabo SXE 450 options

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lazy_pete

Established Member
Reaction score
Hello - I'm just about to pull the trigger on a Metabo SXE 450 - and the options seem to be either -

Bare unit

'Pro Pack' with some sanding pads, polishing pad, case

The latter costs £80 more.

As if plan to use abratec discs and a suitable backing pad (seems to be the preferred option in other threads) and I don't have any polishing to do right now is there any particular advantage in the pro pack? A car would be good, but I alreDy have a few Bosch L-Boxxs and could get a second hand suitably sized one. Don't suppose anyone knows if the GEX 125-150 inlays would fit - looks similar.

All opinions greatly appreciated.

Cheers

It might be worth shopping around to see if there are any 'bare unit' deals around. When I bought mine I managed to get two packs of 25 Metabo sanding discs included.
Personally I wouldn't pay an extra £80 for the pro pack. The cardboard box that the sander came in works fine for me and I had a polishing bonnet already (that fits on an electric drill attachment). The sanding discs do the job ok but I would rather put the money saved on the pro pack towards some Abranet. I've used little else since discovering it a while back.

I bought the bare unit and have had it a few years now, great sander but I'm tempted to upgrade to a rotex 150 now.

Thanks for the replies - I've taken the advice and ordered a bare SXE450 (£137 from FFX) and used the difference to get a mix pack of Abranet discs and a couple of interface pads to protect the backing pad on eBay. Interestingly, despite being the same vendor (Southern Filters) eBay was a fair bit cheaper than ordering direct from their website, mostly due to delivery charges.

After looking at what was in the two kits it turns out the difference is some Metabo discs, £30 worth of polishing pad and fleece and a £40 box. They can be added later if needed, and there wasn't a huge discount to be had in ordering altogether.

Hopefully it won't take too long over the holiday period - I've a load of 70mm logs left over from cutting the doorway in my new shed which were unfortunately painted before they were chopped out. Need to get the paint off and check they're flat before jointing in my new workbench top!

Thanks again,

Pete

i got some metabo disks with mine. still got most of them- I didnt rate them at all, and switched very quickly to abranet. I wish that i had got a pad saver though- I now need a new pad..

Latest posts

Back