Metabo router (OF E 1229)

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zioles

Reaction score
Hi, I'm new here and to woodworking as well but know already quite a lot thanks to this forum and You...so thanks

...anyway, I'm on the market for a router...for now it will be the only one I can afford (more specifically my girlfriend thinks we can afford one only) so I need both hand held and table capability.

1. There is Metabo OF E 1229 on eBay for £99 but it's 110V - even if I have to buy transformer for £30-40 it sound reasonable - but there's no reviews of it around. Looks like good quality but only 1200W and this 110V?

2. 2nd on the list is Triton MOF001 @ ~£180

3. Triton TRA001 - but I think it's to heavy for hand held (at least for a beginner) - by hand held I mean guide rails and jigs.

4. Makita M12V2 @ £180?

...or something else? I mostly look for precision but it would be good if it can handle some hard wood as well

Thanks for help.

Hi and welcome.

Havent used a metabo router but I have some of there other tools which are good so I would expect the router to be OK.

For a handheld router I generally use a Dewalt 621K or a Festool OF1010. Both can be used in a table but are a bit underpowered for a heavy cut and only have 1/4 inch or 8mm collets. The Dewalt is reasonably priced and easy to use and accurate, whereas the festool is a bit pricey. Another option is to consider a Dewalt 625 which is ideal for table use and is ok to use handheld once you get used to it plus you can use 1/2 inch and 1/4 inch cutters. There is one for sale on here.

Jon

The triton routers are really meant for table use, and no4; the 'makita' is not a makita (I think) but is a Hitachi, and a good one at that.

Any of the large DW's will be good for you, as would the Makita 3612, or indeed the Hitachi MV12 (version 1 or 2 - V1 or V2). I have a friend who has the Hitachi and he swears by it.

I have a few routers, including a DW (613) and Triton. I just got a new (old) sears fixed base router which is good for hand held work,as it is light weight and small-ish. However it would be no good for cutting a worktop.

Best thing for you to do would be to try and audition one. If you can find a forum member in your area who would be willing to let you see theirs you may be able to make a more informed decision; most folk would agree that with routers it really is down to personal preference.

If I was only allowed one router? Easy. Elu 177. They turn up on Ebay now and again. A real classic. I have one - the only 110v router I have, and it is always a pleasure to use.

HTH

Neil

Thanks for suggestions. I decided to go for Metabo @ £95 new one and to buy a used 2400W Triton with table. That should cover everything...

You might be interested in Axminster offer for CMT cutters - 13 of them for ~£130 - next cheapest I could find for this set is around £220.

Thanks again

Back