Metabo Planer Thicknesser

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
i used one for a couple of years. not bad at all imho. that design has been badged so many times, mine was an electra beckum version, but after metabo bought them out. dont think they have changed anything. i'd think about making some infeed outfeed tables for it, but for hobby use, no problems.

jeff

thanks

I have searched on here and it gave mixed opinions hence why I wanted to post on here.

They just don't seem to be that popular on the net though, I can't find any decent reviews.

The other plan was to buy just a thicknessing machine and hand plane/ use a sled to level out slightly bent boards. The only thing is the thicknessers in this budget all seem to be noisy brush motors. The Metabo thicknesser uses a brush motor i believe but the Metabo planer thicknesser uses an induction motor.

Can anyone confirm this for me?

Can anyone confirm this for me?

Mine did, mind you, I only kept it for about eight hours before returning it to the supplier.
Fitting the dust extractor hood to the thicknessr was total pain, the beds were every shape bar flat and level with each other they weren't!
But I do have a Metabo thicknesser.

Roy.

i've had the metabo planer thicknesser for about a year now and have put it to allot of use with no problems at all, have used it on idigbo, abw, awo, cherry, maple and indian rosewood and its been fine for all, the only thing is you can only take about 1mm at a time on wider boards or it will struggle and i find the jointing beds a little to short for longer boards so have to use roller stands as well, but for a lower budget machine i think its fine, Try an internet search for the best deal mine was nearly £100 cheaper than the screwfix price when i bought it . if i can find the receipt tomorrow will let you know where from,Mark

Ah that would be grand.

I must admit at the Screwfix price its a bit more than I wanted to spend.

I've been reading around and was thinking whether I actually need the jointer part? If I used a decent blade on my table saw or a router table jointer I'm sure i'd be ok with that. Its not ideal but might save me the extra £100 or so.

Thinking about it I don't really make anything with stock thicker than 3 inch and say 5-6 inch wide

Can be had for £470 on Ebay, have a gander here, think it's the same model. Says you get a free wheel kit as well.

The only thing that I'd say about these site P/T's is that I've heard they are mega loud, although I can't say this from experience, just what I've heard on the grapevine.

Cheers _Dan.

Cheers guys.

I know what you mean about loudness, I believe its because portable thicknessers use brush motors. However Metabo one is advertised as using an induction motor, which in theory should be a bit quieter/nice to use.

Back