Metabo DH 330

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ey_tony

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi guys, my name is Tony and live in East Yorkshire.
This is my first post so it's both an introduction and a little background info about me to aid any answers.

My first woodworking experience was at the tender age of 15 when I was apprenticed and served my time as a 'church organ builder' - yes I know, looking back now it's rather quaint and archaic but it was a heck of a grounding in the skilled use of hand tools. :)
However, since the age of 21 I pursued other career options but kept my hands on my tools over the years with home renovations and the occasional cabinet work/reproduction furniture for personal use - my love has always been to use hand tools with as little reliance on power tools as humanly possible.
I still have most of my tools from back then...several 20 odd inch Record steel planes, Marples chisels etc etc and all still serviceable.

Over the years I have acquired a substantial collection of aged timbers ( one example is a dozen or so superb figured oak boards over 100 years old up to 18 inches wide x 1.25 inches thick x nearly 8 feet long) plus many more which I'd planned to use upon retirement to make up some accurate repro 16th-18th century furniture pieces but unfortunately health issues ( partial heart failure and COPD) have got in the way of sticking religiously to hand tool use and I'm faced with having to acquire a few bits of machinery to make up for my lack of puff/stamina - in particular, a thicknesser or P/T which would save me an awful lot of body stress and take the hard work out of thicknessing once I'd ensured that there was no twist in the timber ( you can't beat a set of winding laths) :lol:

So with that in mind, I would like anyone who owns a Metabo DH 330 thicknesser to give me their valued opinion of this model - the other two contenders are the Makita 2012NB and the DeWalt 733 but I do like the specs of the Metabo ( particularly the planing width which is 330mm/13") - it's trade rated and|I've owned some Metabo tools for nearly 40 years which have given sterling service during that time.
I'm not bothered about a jointer as my steel planes and long steel straight edge are more than good enough for that so it's mostly down to accurate thicknessing to take the hard work out before getting the final finish on the boards with the hand planes. I've also built a very accurate bench saw ( certainly accurate to within 1/32" in overall width of cut) so jointing is relatively a piece of cake as the blades I've used are high quality and give a near perfect finish even before planing off.

As I'm out of touch with modern equipment there are other pieces of machinery which I'm sure would make life easier and I'd value your opinions on those but for now I'd like to purchase the most pressing for health reasons which is the thicknesser.

Thanks in anticipation and any comments welcomed.

Tony

welcome. I can't help on the metabo. I have the Axminster lunchbox thicknesses which I rate highly. A real workhorse, albeit a bit noisy.

marcros":3omhnoil said:
welcome. I can't help on the metabo. I have the Axminster lunchbox thicknesses which I rate highly. A real workhorse, albeit a bit noisy.

Hi and thanks for the welcome..... with regard to the Axminster you've mentioned, which model is that as it could also be worth considering for me? From what I've gathered they're all rather noisy so that certainly wouldn't put me off - it won't be used that much so a bit of noise isn't going to bother me or the neighbours as I'd do most of my work during the day!

Hello and welcome, I don't have any experience of the metabo DH330 either!
The only observation I have is that this type of "lunch box planer" frequently have bed rollers to help the timber feed.
Any saw lines can be repeated through the rollers and show in the finish, the answer is to lightly pass the timber through,
First pass with any round side up, turn over, another light pass, and so on you will see any "ripples"lessening,
Twice each on top and bottom should smooth things out.
Unless of course you have been up and down with you're hand plane and smoothed things out!
Regards Rodders

marcros":3u88o2if said:
The ct330.

Aha.... looks quite good.... in fact having checked it out it looks quite similar to the Metabo! The Met DH 330 also has a three year warranty and very similar specs but at around only half the price...I'm sure there must be some trade-offs with the DH 330 somewhere for the price difference but my experience of Metabo equipment has always been positive which is why I wondered if anyone on the forum had any experience of using the DH 330.

Back