Metabo BAS 317 Bandsaw

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi Byron

Just found this post so hope it's not too late, i took delivery of a Metabo BAS 317 Bandsaw today, got a great price of £295 inc free delivery and a free Metabo KS 210 mitre saw.

If you want full details of this let me know, i will be using it tomorrow for the first time \:D/

P.S The cast iron table is perfect, no rust anywhere ! :lol:

Yeah i have had one for awhile now and love it. No problems doing what ever i use it for.

What is it you want to know. I havent had any trouble but saying that it doesnt get over used. Glad i bought it though, its a nice machine.

I'm just wondering what hte quality of the guides are like - how does the tensioning work - how good is the fence/table.

Does it require a lot of setup to cut straight?

What is the maximum cutting capacity in hardwoods for re-sawing.. thats about it really. :)

Well I have the smaller Matabo/Elektra Beckum model with 4" cutting depth and have found it to be a lovely little bandsaw. Look what it`s capable of in photo.

complete_bandsawn_cabriole_leg.jpg

I also just found out that the mitre slide on my Record BS 350X bansaw fits perfectly on the Elektra Beckum. :) See photos.

record_bandsaw2.JPG

record_mitre_on_elektra.jpg

The only thing i dont like is the fact that the guide slots are not the same as the usual table saw guide slots. Dunno if thats the way it is as this is my 1st bandsaw.
It was easy to set up, no problems. Lovely machine to use.

ByronBlack":26syq9jk said:
I'm just wondering what hte quality of the guides are like - how does the tensioning work - how good is the fence/table.

Does it require a lot of setup to cut straight?

What is the maximum cutting capacity in hardwoods for re-sawing.. thats about it really. :)

I have had one for about a year.

Doesn't require much setting up just screwing the stand together, putting the table on etc. About an hour at the most.

I think the guides are decent and easy to adjust, the bottom ones are a bit harder but nothing too taxing.

There is a nice brush on the bottom wheel which keeps dust from sticking to it pretty well as I don't have any dust extraction attached to it.

There is a quick release for blade tension which is handy for when not in use.

I had a handle/knob broken in delivery and metabo were very quick to replace it.

Overall I am happy with it.

Thanks for all the feedback, seems like quite a good machine then. What about it's re-sawing or veneer cutting capacity, what would be the maximum you could achive on this?

Byron,

From the research I have done, I would be worried that you might find it a bit of a let-down after your Jet. Have you seen this?

Note that I've only seen the E-B in the flesh, though...

Cheers,
Neil

Colin, SIP Bandsaw is actually a swear word in my workshop! Unfortunatly i've had one and sold it almost straight away for a loss it was dreadful! I think i'll stick to the Jet as i've had one before and it was simply brilliant in everway.

Latest posts

Back