Meddings Drilthru tinkering

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sagly

Established Member
Reaction score
I really should finish some other jobs before I start on this one but I couldn't resist plugging it in to see if it works.

It's a Meddings Drilthru with a 240V single phase motor. Bought off ebay for £30 and despite it's shabby looks I think I got a bit of a bargain?

$(KGrHqV,!n0F!J4fjnW1BQQ7v762,!~~60_12.jpg

Most importantly IT WORKS! but I need a bit of advice. The motor runs really smoothly but sometimes it doesn't get going without a shove and sometimes it spins the wrong way?! Can anyone tell me what might be wrong with it? Does it need new brushes? Also, what does the white box on the side do? It says 'Almor Start Switch' on it.

The light was starting to fade when I took these pictures:

photo1.JPG

photo.JPG

Attachments

• $(KGrHqV,!n0F!J4fjnW1BQQ7v762,!~~60_12.jpg
    $(KGrHqV,!n0F!J4fjnW1BQQ7v762,!~~60_12.jpg
    87.7 KB · Views: 1,340
  • photo1.JPG
    photo1.JPG
    82.1 KB · Views: 1,340
  • photo.JPG
    photo.JPG
    101.1 KB · Views: 1,340
I would ignore the link you found.

The most likely defect is a non functioning start winding.
I would think either you have :-

A defective start capacitor.
or
A malfunctioning centrifugal switch.

The motor will not have 'brushes'
The Start switch relay unit is used to control the starting of the machine, actual characteristics will depend upon part Number. (Company web link

To get yourself a better understanding of the internals of your particular motor and wiring details that you can check to confirm the defect, Have a read through Bob Minchin's excellent "Use of Induction Motors in the Home Workshop"

Sagly":2ji9jsuh said:
I really should finish some other jobs before I start on this one but I couldn't resist plugging it in to see if it works.

It's a Meddings Drilthru with a 240V single phase motor. Bought off ebay for £30 and despite it's shabby looks I think I got a bit of a bargain?

As long as the quill isn't rusty (and hence slides with precision), it'll be fine.

BugBear

Back