meaty soldering iron

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If it's for soldering really chunky stuff, or for the lead/stained glass that the OP was asking about, I THINK the 100 Watt version is probably not meaty enough. 200 Watt version maybe OK. Basically, for soldering heavy stuff that tends to "leak" the heat away quickly, the more Watts the better. I notice that the other one posted above was 300 Watt

As posted previously, purely personal, but I don't much like the "cranked" bit, I prefer straight. But that's just me. They're certainly popular and with practice you could no doubt get on with it OK.

AES

AES":1c8ydc3r said:
BTW, how's the OP getting on with his "steam age" soldering iron find?

AES

The whole idea is on the back burner until the autumn, when I intend to do a stained glass course.
thanks for your interest

OK, when the times comes I'd be interested to hear what the "professionals" teach you on the course please. Hope you enjoy it.

AES

Ha typical, after ordering that large electric iron from china, I spot a lovely old fashioned iron at the car boot today for 50pence.

Rorschach":ujefdo1j said:
Ha typical, after ordering that large electric iron from china, I spot a lovely old fashioned iron at the car boot today for 50pence.

Classic.

BugBear

Electric Iron arrived today. The ceramic element inside was cracked but still functional. Came with a UK adaptor which was nice. Tip appears to be solid copper or some kind of copper alloy anyway, bit rough but easily tidied with a file. It heat up quickly, the tip tinned fine and it certainly has plenty of oomph.
Is it powerful enough for stained glass work? I don't know, I don't do that kind of thing but if you want a really big soldering iron for electronics work I think it is a real bargain, should be great for doing thing like battery tabs. I will be using it for doing XT60 connectors as those are a real pain with a small iron.

Back