Measurement help please

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RPM

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I was given a plan by my farther-in-law a couple of years back.
The plan is for a dovecote that he had built (a fine job of it he did too)!.
sadly he did not finish it before he past away.

The only thing left is the wooden brackets that attach to the post to hold up the cote. They are nothing complicated but wanting to get it right and keep it to his plan (shop bought) I am stumpted! It does not work out?

I hope I am missing somethig real obvious here and to be honest I feel quite strongly that I need to finish it how wanted it (if you know what I mean).

Right then, a reason for the post first. I have tried to write down the sizes etc...but it is hard to explain.

Would I be in the wrong to scan the part of the plan to post on here?
I do not want to break any forum rules.

Regards

A plan would help more than you trying to explain it and i don't think its against forum rules ? If it is the mods will just remove it anyway but at least a few of us will be able to help before they do :D
Maybe a link to the plans would be better ?

If it would help you could e-mail a hi res scan of the part and I could redraw it in SketchUp to see if missing dimensions can be determined that way.

Thanks

I was looking for a link but I do not know where he got the plan from?
I say it was shop bought, It may be a free plan...I dunno?

I bought the wood at the weekend, Per plan. I just can not seem to cut it!
Strange feeling, It feels like a big deal to get it right, and it is.

To be honest if it was my project I would have just cut away and learned from my mistakes but I just can not seem to do it with this.

Anyhow.....On the pages it says "weekend project 25", To be honest It would have taken me a lot longer than that to read the plan!

Dave R":2tt1aj7s said:
If it would help you could e-mail a hi res scan of the part and I could redraw it in SketchUp to see if missing dimensions can be determined that way.

Sorry Dave R

You posted just before me. I think that might be the way to go.

Let me get a good scan done and I will get back to you.

Thanks

Hi,

Here are the plans.

This is the cut I need to make to one of 4 bracket shelves.

Here is another.

The part I can not get my head around is: If I cut the 175mm radius from the shorter of the brackets that leaves 80mm right?

The post is 100x100mm. so the radius would not be visible.

I hope you can follow this.....because I can't :shock: :?

Thanks for your time.

You're right. The plans are screwy.

Here is a quickie sketch that will hopefully clarify things. All three assemblies use the same 175mm radius for the arc. The one on the left is the way it would look if you use the dimensions from the template drawing. I don't think you'd want that.

The middle view shows the two shorter pieces lengthened so the 205mm dimension from the top view works. Still not correct.

The right hand view shows the results if all four pieces are the same size--375mm long.

Good on you to catch the error before trying to construct this.

cote.jpg

Hi RPM,

First a comment with my MOD hat on, no problem with you posting a section of the plan like this to allow us to help you. What we cannot allow the posting of copyright plans for others to use.

OK then to your problem, I think the cut away is there to give a thinner section for the fixing bolt that holds the base board on. I agree that the arc on the short brackets will not total clear the post, but if this is a weekend project that could be a compromise in the design, for ease of construction. You would need to construct an elliptical curve to allow the full curve to clear the post and still give the 45mm end dimension for the fixing bolt.

Maybe Dave R could draw you a suitable curve to fit the short brackets.

OK so Dave R crossed post with me!

What size is the base board of the dovecote? Are the brackets the wrong length or is the arc the bodge?

Hi RPM

If the drawing is done according to the rulls, it looks to me that the cut away should be done only on the long parts (375mm) otherwise you would see a broken line and solid line as I marked on your drawing.

niki

scan.jpg

Thanks Dave L the rules are now noted :wink: :)

The Baseboard is 25mm. Yes the 45mm is needed to fix the board with the 100x10 bolts..that brings me to another question!

45mm +25mm 100mm bolts? Hack off the rest? :shock: :idea:

Thanks Dave R

Great sketch! thankyou for clearing that up for me :wink:
Where to now? I think I might attach the boards and make the arch from the point it lands at? :? :)

Hi Niki

Thanks, I think the broken lines are to show the board facing and the board facing away. I does say on the plan "cut all 4 boards".

But hey! with a plan like this, I think it may be time to call for the A Team

Thanks all for your time

Latest posts

Back