Measure twice ...

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bugbear

Established Member
Reaction score
From the BBC:

I once had the task of installing a cat flap into a door between my garage and my house. I carefully measured and marked the hole required, and took the door off its hinges to cut the hole - but once the door was on the bench, I couldn't find the markings. I assumed they were on the reverse of the door, so I marked it up again and cut the hole. I brought the door back to the frame but the hinges were in the wrong place... then I noticed the scuff marks were at the top of the door... I'd put the cat flap in at the wrong end. Many helpful comments about trampolines and ladders were to follow!

-- Derek Roberts, Ferring, West Sussex:

BugBear

Ha ha.
A friend of mine (who isn't a woodworker) decided to hang an internal door himself.
He spent ages planing to size, cutting the hinges and latch.
I visited a couple of days later and he proudly showed me his door.

I bit my tongue as long as I could but eventually I had to tell him......... That it was upside down....

Cue lots of Effing and Jeffing as the door was torn from its hinges, dragged outside and beaten to death with a hammer.

Poor door.

Still makes me giggle.

Back