MDF warping help?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rich.h

Established Member
Reaction score
I'm making a new tool cabinet and the plans call for using plywood as it reduces the chances of stuck drawers through wood warping with humidity. I have two sheets of 18mm mdf that were over ordered from my last project. I know that if the stuff gets physically wet it becomes a nightmare, but how does it fare with humidity? My workshop is simply my back yard with a newly built pvc roof, it's all watertight but one end has an 18" opening still as I need to remove a brick wall and replace with a full wooden fence.

Am I going to find using the mdf will result in drawer jams or should it be fine?

I think it might be fine if things are sealed and the tolerances are not too close. If the drawers are a bit sloppy then their will room for expansion. I used some on a blast gate for my extractor and it swelled quite abit.
Mark

mdf is total crarp I wouldn't use it for anything of my own*, especially not if it's in an open air lean-to. Once it distorts for whatever reason, it stays distorted, there's no getting it right again. Plywood is much more durable.

* except for firewood. It burns well in a woodstove.

Latest posts

Back