MDF dust.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

deserter

Established Member
Reaction score
So I started working in a new workshop 3 weeks ago, which uses mainly the small bagged extractors on large machinery and nothing on portable tools, except sanders which use they're supplied dust cartridges. After my second week I started itching dramatically on any exposed skin. I duly went to see my doctor, who said he thinks it is most likely a sensitivity to the formaldehyde in the glue used to make MDF. He gave me anti histamines and sone cream and told me to go back a week later, which I just have.
In that week I have also had what felt like sunburn around my hairline, the doctor tonight confirmed that it is almost certainly the above problem, and my only course of action is to remove myself from the situation as it will only get worse.
Now I've worked with MDF for around 10 years at various companies and never had a problem until now, has anyone else had similar issues, and if so how did you deal with it?

simples

Attachments

• index lh.jpg
    index lh.jpg
    5.1 KB · Views: 458
Immune/allergic reactions are funny things; you can often be exposed to an allergen for a long period before becoming sensitised, then it suddenly flares up. Sounds like that's what's happened in your case, but whatever, MDF dust is nasty stuff anyway.

I would say MDF dust is less irritant than most hardwoods and probably less dangerous. (Except MDF dust is pretty damn flammable)

Hi
I've just come back to woodwork after a year or more. My last big project called for some Satin wood columns that I tried turning. I used an Axminster chip extractor and foolishly only used the bag as a filter, rather than fork out £100+ for a proper filter. All the bag filter did was separate the relatively safe chips from the fine dust which it just blew into the air. The result was a serious allergic reaction and a workshop full of poisonous dust. I've now got a proper filter but clearing my workshop has been a nightmare. The morel of this story - never under estimate the toxicity of wood and don't skimp on dust protection.

An update, I've left employment with this company and the problem has stopped.
So I'm now healthier but poorer, but seriously looking into self employment where I can choose the timbers I work and the way they're extracted.

deserter":1dshjf4m said:
So I'm now healthier but poorer, but seriously looking into self employment where I can choose the timbers I work and the way they're extracted.

Good luck with that one, I only know one guy who makes artisan furniture, refusing to use MDF. He made under £10k last year.

I would find it hard to price against stairs made with MDF treads if I was was using other materials, so for a joinery workshop it might be difficult.
But it is possible to make good kitchens and a profit not using MDF, two companies near me in Cirencester, Parlor Farm Kitchens and Evie Willow Kitchens both use birch ply and tulip ply in place of MDF. They both have very good websites so look at what they doing for yourself. So Doctor Bob is right that it is hard to make a profit if you are directly pricing against workshops that use MDF and you are using birch ply but not right if you price your product against higher value kitchens and use alternatives to MDF.

I wish you all the very best if you step out on your own

Hi deserter
If you were employed your employer has a duty to provide adequate dust extraction, and just use in the bag is not enough. As I said above I had a problem with some satin wood. The result is I'm now sensitive to all hard woods. Your employer could have done you some serious damage.

doctor Bob":1sn5se6y said:
deserter":1sn5se6y said:

Good luck with that one, I only know one guy who makes artisan furniture, refusing to use MDF. He made under £10k last year.
It's not necessarily, that I won't use MDF, I just won't be leaving it raw for finishing. The company I worked at used to put a profile onto the raw edge, then sand and finish that edge, I didn't like the effect but that's also the process that throws the most dust up.
Working for myself I can use better extraction and make sure the MDF is left in slab form with timber edging etc.

I had similar issues using iroko. Switching to sapele majorly reduced the itching and I try to avoid iroko unless specified. I wonder if a different brand of mdf might be less irritant ?

ColeyS1":2dvfrq82 said:
I had similar issues using iroko. Switching to sapele majorly reduced the itching and I try to avoid iroko unless specified. I wonder if a different brand of mdf might be less irritant ?
I had thought that also, the companybused the cheapest of cheap places I've worked in the past have used mainly medite. So you could well be right

I thought mdf was supposed to be formaldehyde free these days.
Am I wrong ?

I get the same reaction to some MDF and not others.

I don't have any problem with MR which is what I buy for my firm now anyway as it takes a better paint finish.

The only time I run into problems is with some of the veneered stuff we use, and it tends to be when I buy in odd sheet from some of the smaller merchants I deal with where they are buying a cheaper brand so they can get my business off the bigger guys and keep the price down.

It is always the brown standard MDF in a veneered board or plain NON MR MDF I have any reaction to.

We have good extraction here and hoovers for the power tools , also my staff are provided with twin respirators with FP3 filters and we also hoover the workshop as well, only using a brush for big bits which would block the hoover.

We are only cutting stuff up on and off through the week and not 40 hours.

Even then with the small amount of dust we do create from it I still can get a reaction.

The other thing I do is wear long sleaved tops if I think I am going to have a problem.

Tom

n0legs":3f3opl4j said:
I thought mdf was supposed to be formaldehyde free these days.
Am I wrong ?
Not as standard, but you can buy with a very low content, or free, I believe. I remember seeing it somewhere, but it wasn't cheap! I came across it when looking coloured board.

deserter":15colccm said:
doctor Bob":15colccm said:
deserter":15colccm said:

It's not necessarily, that I won't use MDF, I just won't be leaving it raw for finishing. The company I worked at used to put a profile onto the raw edge, then sand and finish that edge, I didn't like the effect but that's also the process that throws the most dust up.
Working for myself I can use better extraction and make sure the MDF is left in slab form with timber edging etc.

I suggest that you read items 7 & 8 in the document posted by Lurker. It really is scary stuff.

http://www.hse.gov.uk/woodworking/faq-mdf.htm

Back