MDF Bookcase

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Russ

Established Member
Reaction score
Here's a simple bookcase that I knocked up for a local chap. Shelves are edged with beech and the finish has been sprayed on.
The backing was scored on the panel saw to give that T&G effect.

Customer loved it and now wants a drinks cabinet!

Cheers

Russ

P1040366.jpg

I like it. I hate working with MDF but it's amazing what you can make. Nice paint job

MickCheese":3luj924n said:
Russ

Looks good. I like the colour and the simple nature of the whole piece.

Those shelves look like they are holding some serious weight, how thick are they?

Mick

The shelves are 28mm thick mdf with 50mm beech edging front and back. They may sag by a mill or 2 but thats never a problem..

Cheers

Unless it's a trick of the camera, I think I can see those two middles shelves distorting under the load. Nice looking unit, but I'd never use mdf for heavy books unless really well braced and supported...the eye will still notice a sag of 2mm though - Rob

I thought the same as you Rob, but I think it is a trick of the camera.

Really nice unit Russ, amazing what the pro can do with MDF.

Nice job Russ. What is on the other side ? I could picture it being round the top of a flight of stairs.

Trick of the camera, happens all the time with bookshelves!! (especially with my camera)

The bookcase is built around a small kitchen, on the blindside is a worktop and built in oven etc. fitted in a gîte thats rented out in the summer and occupied by the owner during the colder months..

The colour is Sage Green (Little Greene)

Thanks for all the positives!

Russ

Back