MB9020 Planer Thicknesser

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alec

Established Member
Reaction score
Some might remember I had problems with my AxiMB9020 in that it had difficulty trueing an edge, well Axi bless them replaced the machine and guess what this one sticks and burns out belts. Not having allot of luck in this department and have lost interest and confidence in this machine.
So a bit of advise would be appreciated, firstly any comments on the
Axi AWEPT106 Planer Thicknesser.
My other thought is to buy a planer and a thicknesser separate. I thought i would buy the planer first but concerned that it is only 150mm width. What would you do! advise and comments welcome.

I recently bought a PT106 and I'm very pleased with it.

It worked fine straight out of the box with minimal fettling although, if I'm honest, I haven't used it that much.

The only criticism I can think of is that, in thicknesser mode, the extract is not very good and a lot of chips build up on the table. I'm now in the habit of putting a bucket under the end of the outfeed table to catch the chips that get pushed out by the wood as it feeds through.

When I bought it I did a bit of haggling and got a mobile base and a spare set of knives thrown in as well. Thanks Axminster!

Good luck,

If you have the room Alec separates are definitely the best solution.
recommendation?
Anything with cast iron tables and both infeed and outfeed adjustable I would say.

Roy.

Thanks for you reply Peter. Why do you separate is best roy? I was thinking that the planing part is more important, if you get that wrong then the rest falls apart, and once you have a straight edge you can cut down on the table saw., as you can guess i am new to this wood working.

Thanks again

Separates are much more flexible Alec, you have much less mucking about moving from one machine to the other, usually extraction is better IME as well, and no time lost in the change over either of course.
I very much doubt Alec that you will find someone who has been down both paths who will willing give up separates.

Roy.

Latest posts

Back