Max router bit size

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ByronBlack

Established Member
Reaction score
Is there a rule of thumb about the maximum size of router-bit that should be used free-hand? E.g Would a 25mm straight cutter be too big?

byron i have used a 25mm cutter free hand to remove the waste from some large tenons i found it ok. it is usauly stated in the catalouge whether they need to be used in a table or not.

thanks chaps! I took delivery of a 25mm router cutter and my thoughts were "that looks unwieldly!" but now I know it's safe to use free-hand I can stop being a girl about it :)

I think it's more a case of not using a big cutter at too high a speed rather than not using one at all. I have Titmans biggest straight router bit, it is about 50x50 and I used it for rebating before I got my spindle. It worked well at low speed but if I forgot to turn the router speed down the vibration made it scary as hell, and that was in a table.
Regards Andy

Thats why i use the xtreme xtention , you balance it in the collet to stop the vibration .

JFC":2ptgze2t said:
Thats why i use the xtreme xtention , you balance it in the collet to stop the vibration .

How does that work, I would have thought an extension would make things worse due to deflection I definitely think you need variable speed for the bigger cutters.
Regards Andy

Yes you still need to adjust the speed but you balance the xx in the collet . It's a great bit of kit and makes changing over cutters a very simple twist of an alan key .

Latest posts

Back