Matts Workshop. Long load of pics (Sorry)

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

-Matt-

Established Member
Reaction score
This is basically a thread in which I'm throwing pictures into to catalogue and display the little area in which I make... stuff... out of wood and metal.
Its not the biggest nor the best compared to some of the awesome spaces others on here have but I'm making it useable and I hope you enjoy looking at the pictures.

This is not the whole compendium of pictures so some bits I'll chop out for the sake of it being a bit dull but should be able to show enough and explain whats going on.

The whole thing starts about two years ago or so (maybe three) wherein I asked my dad if I could have a little more space in the garage. Its a double garage and was quite untidy and I was making little projects on a board balanced between two workmates:

Originally.jpg

This of course is no and a plan was hatched to board over the up-and-over door (its broken and couldn't be used anyway due to a caravan on the other side)
This was duely done, a sort of benchtop was made using the top and bottom of an old wardrobe which I aquired and cutting a few pics out it then came to be this:

Moredone.jpg

Things got added to the walls as they tend to do, storage was made and thats how it was. Jan 2013. I bought my lathe. The stand was £70 and was essentially four bits of steel tube. I decided I could make a better one and so I did.
I made a sort of A framed thing out of angle:

Trapezium_zps789e0818.jpg

Got it painted and got the lathe on top:
StandComplete_zps04f59ff6.jpg

And that was good. It worked. I was happy that it was stable and essentially free. The old chipboard box underneath is full of misc bits of metals.

I was then given (!) a drill press which was something I'd been after. Its a little rattley, the paint is tatty and the table was cracked but it was free so I guess no-ones going to complain at that. I got the table welded back up, and my girlfriend and I set about making a good sturdy stand for it out of palletwood which I'd also obtained for nothing.
The stand is.. shall we say 'over-engineered' but its certainly sturdy:
Drillstandresized_zps4f704bc4.jpg

The table top of it has two bits of 12mm bar through the planks, drilled and tapped for M8 bolts which keep the top sandwhiched nicely.

After all that, a massive sort out and move around happened, my dad had given us half the garage to work in and this meant a more organised space.
A quick overview of how it looked on the left, and how it would look after:
oldnewplan_zpsc965e968.jpg

White wall shelving moves to middle:
shelvingmoved_zps351e3b90.jpg

Boarded out on our side (the other side still being my dads storage area)
shelvingboardedinside_zpsfd2cbafc.jpg

Bit of worktop rescued from a skip becomes adjoined to the existing bench (essentially given to us to use since it wasn't moving anywhere)
CornerBenchDone_zps7c0f58f1.jpg

I got a new workbench, worktop was a fiver off Gumtree, cupboards for free from Gumtree again, more palletwood for the legs and 1"½ x 2"½ timber battening from B&Q
BenchDone_zps6870774b.jpg

End of my old 'bench' which was really just a bit of old computer desk got attached to wall as shelving:
ShelvingThingy_zps8e59c2e1.jpg

And so that brings me to Christmas. I'd decided to modify and improve the lathe stand. More shelving space and what not.

How it looked before Christmas:
BeforeAsAFrame_zps7f6a8d1a.jpg

I'd forgotten to take intermittant photos, but I attacked the back of it with the angle grinder, got fresh steel and created the uprighted bits, replaced the middle of the A bit to extend to the back, more cutting and welding with more angle and some box-section from a dismantled treadmill gives me this profile:
HalfFramed_zps1f0fa9d9.jpg

Lower bit with supports added and a fetching coat of dark green Hammerite (closest I could find to Records green, and it was a free tin)
Painted_zpsc47bd7b4.jpg

Bandsaw came into play with the plywood, it is hardboard backed but that slimmer piece of of ply acts like a kickboard would, stops it getting too out of shape 20square in the corners, screwed through the frame to trap the ply in place:
SemiBoarded_zpsa865f70b.jpg

Top on, ready for doors:
Boarded_zpsa05deb40.jpg

And pretty much nearly done:
Finishedish_zpsad1ada43.jpg

Door handles to turn, magnets to glue to doors that sort of thing.

Now I know the doors look a little wonky.. because they are a bit.. its cheap pine battens with a bit routed out of the inside for the ply. Woodwork is my hobby and theres many little disciplines about it that I'm learning. The stand serves a purpose and it needed to be done. After all, make a nice place to work/play and then you can concentrate on making some really nice stuff :p

Sorry if its a bit of a long read, I do apologise for that, I'd meant to create this thread ages ago.

Thanks for reading :)

-Matt-

I love threads like this, getting things the way you want without spending a fortune. Motivational.

Thanks for all the comments :)

I'm sure most other people here have the same thought patterns, why buy something that's nearly what you're after when you can make something that is exactly what you want.
If you can make it, then save some cash for the cool stuff.
Big fan of nabbing things out of skips or simply asking to have things out of companys scrap bins. I have some comically huge slabs of oak from a firm that make wooden gates and things. Had to go fetch a wheelbarrow to get them to the car.

Back