Master woodturner

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
:x Sorry - did someone say watch a master craftsman at work and learn?
The only thing that you'll learn from this is how NOT to do it!
For a start he's not using a gouge at all. By the looks of it it would appear to be something like the Sorby Spindlemaster.
Health and safety seems to have gone out of the open workshop door here. The toolrest is never adjusted from start to finish, so that by the time he gets to the end of the piece the tool is well overhanging the tool rest.
He leaves the toolrest in place whilst sanding. If ever you've seen anyone's hand that's been drawn down beween the work piece and the toolrest during sanding, you'll know why on every course you go on or video you watch, the toolrest is removed out of the way before sanding commences.
So yes, look and learn - then completely ignore what he says and does.

Well done Bob, and thanks for the link. I think I can see where he's coming from, and what I've been doing wrong.

Now that I realise why my turned pieces are a bit hard to finish, I will have to try and re-learn all my technique and see if I can do my turning in a similar fashion to the guy on the video clip. Will let you all know how I get on, and what my finish is like later. #-o

Some of the negative comments surprise me. :eek: :shock: I know woodturning is a highly individual hobby, and some techniques may not be to everyones taste, but I for one got a lot out of watching the video clip. :lol: :lol: :lol: :roll:

It's a shame the guy didn't use the skew in a planing cut... could've saved his abrasive :lol:

Have to agree with JackL... it does show some poor practices

C'mon guys, can't you see the humour in it?

I don't believe anyone would take that clip seriously, but maybe I'm being a bit naive. Yet lets face it, it takes nerve to go on record turning/hacking as he was. :lol:

TEP":pnlcubir said:
C'mon guys, can't you see the humour in it?

I don't believe anyone would take that clip seriously...

Humour? (or in this case humor :lol: ) ... nope... :lol:

There're folks out there who know no different...

Yes i can see the funny side but for someone new looking at how to do things then i don't see the funny side.
These videos should say if they are to be taken serious or not.
Paul.J.

Latest posts

Back