Marrison system Instructions.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Syncman

Reaction score
I have this jig [Marrison system] for cutting angled concentric circles out of a 3/4" board. Creates a vase from scrap. Does anyone here know or have the instructions? A member posted the entry in the old Craft Supplies catalogue, However I am trying to find out what the three lines on the RHS are for. Shown here with a scrap plywood disc and no board, its a fantastic use of offcuts.

1637601634320.png

Attachments

• 1637601334568.png
    1637601334568.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 3
I had not seen that jig before and its got me thinking of a number of things it could do. As you can make your own I will have to have a play around. I was almost about to get one of these ring cutter tools but will try a home made first.

Ringcutter With Post

Regards
John

Just a guess but it looks like they align to the centre of the disc so you can reference for different board thicknesses.

The following is a BASIC guide to using your Marrison System, however the best results are obtained by means of your own skill and imagination. Juggle the pieces and introduce reversed and straight section in order to produce intricate and personalised designs, or incorporate the rings into normal wood work and wood turned projects

Directions:-

Choose a suitable piece of sound timber, its thickness and the angle of the Marrison guide used , will determine whether your project needs one, two or three pieces of the wood to enable the rings to stack on top of each other properly. (see footnote and diagram)

Decide which method of mounting the wood onto your lathe suits you best, eg gluing onto a waste piece of backing timber fitted to your faceplate, or gripping by the jaws of your “Multi” chuck such as the Nova range.

Place the Marrison system into your lathe T rest tool holder and position it as close as possible to the face of the timber. Align the number 1 datum groove with the centre spot of the timber. (see diagram) Set your lathe to a slow speed and as with all forms of woodworking wear adequate eye protection and observe proper safety standards.

Cut the rings by gently pushing your parting tool through the guide slots of the Marrison System starting at the outermost position.

If the thickness of your timber is correct for the angle of the guide used, the pieces will automatically fit one on top of another.

If not then you will need to a second piece of the same wood (or a contrasting wood if desired) and reposition the guide so that the No 2 datum groove is aligned with the centre of the wood. Now cut your rings as before. Alternate rings from each piece of wood will now stack, if they don’t use a third piece of wood and datum mark No 3.

90° angle rings obviously match with those cut from further pieces of wood and make ideal stacking canisters etc. They also permit more pleasing shapes when interspersed with angled and reversed ring in ornamental projects.

Glue your chosen rings together, using any of the wood glues available.

Sand and polish, either by hand or by re-mounting on the lathe. Interesting additions and refinements can be added at this stage by normal wood turning techniques and skills.

Ancillary items such as lids, tops, bases, handles etc. are easily made using this system.

Above all the Marrison system is easy, fun and anyone can do it. Enjoy yourself and let your imagination run riot.

Please note that if the rings are cut using the following “Guide” size and stated thickness of timber they will automatically stack on top of one another

50 degree guide = ¾” & 1½” (or 19mm and 40mm)

60 degree guide = 1” & 2” (or 25mm and 50mm)

62½ degree guide = 1 1/8” & 2¼” )or 30mm and 60mm)

Marrison.jpg

Many thanks. This is what I was looking for.

50 degree guide = ¾” & 1½” (or 19mm and 40mm)

60 degree guide = 1” & 2” (or 25mm and 50mm)

62½ degree guide = 1 1/8” & 2¼” )or 30mm and 60mm)

And this is what the end grooves are for.

If not then you will need to a second piece of the same wood (or a contrasting wood if desired) and reposition the guide so that the No 2 datum groove is aligned with the centre of the wood. Now cut your rings as before. Alternate rings from each piece of wood will now stack, if they don’t use a third piece of wood and datum mark No 3.

Had one of those in a box since I bought my Graduate lathe from a school, could never work out what it was for, now I know. Thanks

Latest posts

Back