Maroon Stanley?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pitts2112

Reaction score
I'm hoping the assembled expertise on the board might be able to help me figure out if this Stanley plane is of an era that makes it worth keeping. I can't find anything to give me an idea of how old it is or even what model it is.

Attachments

• IMG_2149.jpg
    IMG_2149.jpg
    44.8 KB · Views: 1,145
  • IMG_2151.jpg
    IMG_2151.jpg
    36.9 KB · Views: 1,145
  • IMG_2154.jpg
    IMG_2154.jpg
    34.6 KB · Views: 1,145
The lateral adjuster and yoke are both made from flat steel bent into shape which does indicate an era when the accountants were in control.

That does not mean that it could not do satisfactory work if you need it to.

The decision as to whether it's worth keeping can be made by putting a blade in it and trying it, if it works then it's worth keeping.

If the question is, "Is it worth any money?" Then I would suggest the answer is no, not really.

I have two No. 5's and one is the same as your one, it works very well so I use it.

Mick

I have a #5 with plastic handles which cuts as sweetly and finely as you could wish (after some work).

Thanks, guys. I paid $30 for it at an estate sale. I'll clean it up and see how it goes.

I tried using the plane dating decision tree but was getting 1933 - 1941, which I knew couldn't be right.

I still haven't found any pics of Stanley planes that are maroon/purple, so that didn't help me, either.

Thanks for the help, folks!

Someone has painted that themselves. They were black until the 60's when they changed to blue.

It looks like it came from the factory Maroon, given that the rivet holding the lateral adjustment lever is unpainted.

Makes me wonder if the plane is some other make with a Stanley lever cap on it. There are no brand markings on the base. The only markings are "Made in USA" behind the knob, the C559 ahead of the tote and, on the frog, what looks like an "X", the number "C566B" and "A4".

I have a maroon Stanley - a 'Handyman' purchased new circa 1985 - but with plastic handles/adjuster knob. Little used at first until I realised (recently, thanks to members of this forum) how to fettle it; now works fine.

Back