Marking knife technique???

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thinking about marking knives I thought I'd lash out and buy myself a new one.
£3.75 from Toolpost
marking-knife-right-handed-crown-223--43-p%5Bekm%5D333x80%5Bekm%5D.jpg

Perfect shape, nicely made, but not sharp! Needs a better bevel and the face flattening a touch.
I'm beginning to think that the UK tradition of supplying unfinished tools is quite insane. Why do the do it? OK so it would increase the cost buy a couple of quid or so, but then this knife would have been top class.

If everybody objected and sent things back they'd have to take notice and we would all benefit.
And they would sell more tools, the prats!

PS having it finished off and sharpened would increase the cost. Mora knives start at about £10 and are perfectly finished. They are a bit more complex than the Crown marking knife, so it should be possible to do it perfectly for a bit less than a tenner - resulting in a very nice low cost product.

Jacob":1x3xws74 said:
They are a bit more complex than the Crown marking knife, so it should be possible to do it perfectly for a bit less than a tenner - resulting in a very nice low cost product.

I suggest you buy Crown knives in bulk (at a negotiated wholesale price) finish them "perfectly", and make a killing selling the anonymous vernacular "Grim Knife".

BugBear

bugbear":20fa4jwj said:
I suggest you buy Crown knives in bulk (at a negotiated wholesale price) finish them "perfectly", and make a killing selling the anonymous vernacular "Grim Knife".

BugBear
I wonder what we could call Jacob if he did the same trick with scythes? :-" :lol: - Rob

Maybe we should start with the dealers. Nearest being our own forumite WH (sorry Matthew!).
I suggest that if you receive any tool from WH which isn't in perfect condition, sharp and ready for use, you should send it back immediately.

That's a bit below the belt Jacob - Matthew is a retailer not a manufacturer - it's down to them to ensure things are sharp.
How many people would like manufacturer's sealed packets opened and who would be responsible for poor manufacture then?
You would not be happy anyway as they would not come with rounded bevels? :)
From what I know of Matthew he has always been very fair with unhappy purchasers?

Here's some knives I have which are perhaps more to your liking - one fashioned from a hacksaw blade:

oldmarkingknives.jpg

Rod

Harbo":2wm0td94 said:
That's a bit below the belt Jacob - Matthew is a retailer not a manufacturer - it's down to them to ensure things are sharp.....
Like the knives. Are hoping to start selling them? If so make sure they are sharp, and a lot shinier!

Actually it's the retailer who is responsible for faulty goods in consumer law. Also it's quite normal for the retailer to take a part in presenting goods for retail. I accept that (some) things may need routine sharpening from new, but you shouldn't have to set about doing metal work to bring them into use, unless you have bought them knowingly as "unfinished".
Most things I've bought new over the years were OK, notably Ashley Iles gouges, Mora knives, Stanley knives - all usable outa the paper bag.
Chisels have all needed a hone but that's OK as long as I don't have to spend hours flattening faces - that counts as unfinished IMHO. Even some Axminster cheapies were OK and quite usable after an initial hone
I've bought a collection of Crown gents saws and these all needed sharpening, which isn't good enough IMHO - not least because some of them have more than 20 tpi.
I bought an expensive Atkinson Walker DT saw from WH, which was not sharp, but came with a saw file and instructions! OK for me but not really a good service as many users don't sharpen saws themselves.

Latest posts

Back