marilyn monroe pic

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

james coleman

Established Member
Reaction score
a cutting i did recently,measure approx 24 x 24 inchs,
steve good pattern

Attachments

• marilyn pic.jpg
    marilyn pic.jpg
    50.9 KB · Views: 740
That's very impressive james. =D>
I assume you used Birch Ply? Which thickness of ply did you use?
Also did you use a spiral cut blade?

cut it from 3mm ply,used a no.3 spiral,
done a stack cut ,cutting 2 pieces at once,done red lips on the second piece,but prefer the black one show here,

Hi Toesy. The piece of ply was 2ft square so there is very little room for turning such a large piece on the saw table, it would be almost impossible to cut a piece this size using a conventional blade. With a spiral blade the workpiece can be kept more or less square to the table and just move it a little bit at a time to complete the internal cuts. Well done James, a brilliant piece of work.

A fine piece of cutting, very well done James.

Toesy, if you get some spiral blades have a good practice first as they can be more difficult to control then a standard blade as the cut in all directions.

Barry

bodgerbaz":2bqcopi3 said:
A fine piece of cutting, very well done James.

Toesy, if you get some spiral blades have a good practice first as they can be more difficult to control then a standard blade as the cut in all directions.

Barry

It's surprising what you can do when you don't know. I bought a scroll saw and spiral blades and cut a few portraits with no problem controlling the blades. This was before I knew they were hard to control. :)

james coleman":1t798wxq said:
cut it from 3mm ply,used a no.3 spiral,
done a stack cut ,cutting 2 pieces at once,done red lips on the second piece,but prefer the black one show here,

Thanks james that's very helpful.
Cheers :)

i find spirals so easy too control,infact i use them more often than a normal blade,
maybe a little more clean up after,but i still prefer them,especiely for potrait work anyway

Thanks Geoff and Barry, I have some and tried them once and felt they didn't cut smooth, I'll have another go very soon, thanks for the advice.

sorry for the short hijack

Hmmm interesting. I never thought of using them for portraits but I think it's worth having a go. I tried some a long time ago and found they were a bit like pushing a shopping trolley around in that they'd go in any direction without resistance. Having said that, I'm a more experienced scroller now so I might give it a go on my next portrait. Thanks for the tip.

Nice cutting as ever James. I know you better as Tony and have always admired your work. It was you who inspired me to use spirals on portraits, which I use all the time now when cutting portraits. Nice to see you here mate, keep up the great work.
Mick

Back