Maple - hard or soft

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tibi

Established Member
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
Hello,

I have just bought maple for making a workbench ( I made up my mind and changed it from steamed beech as the lumberyard had some extra stock of maple that was not listed on their website).

Here in Slovakia, they sell it as maple. I would like to know if it is soft or hard maple and if it does matter a lot when building a workbench. The price was lower than steamed beech and almost equal to unsteamed beech. Can you help me identify whether it is hard maple or soft maple? I assume it is soft maple.

Thank you.

IMG_20230606_104813.jpg

Hello,

I have just bought maple for making a workbench ( I made up my mind and changed it from steamed beech as the lumberyard had some extra stock of maple that was not listed on their website).

Here in Slovakia, they sell it as maple. I would like to know if it is soft or hard maple and if it does matter a lot when building a workbench. The price was lower than steamed beech and almost equal to unsteamed beech. Can you help me identify whether it is hard maple or soft maple? I assume it is soft maple.

Thank you.

View attachment 160388
Nobody?

Here in Slovakia, they sell it as maple. I would like to know if it is soft or hard maple and if it does matter a lot when building a workbench.
Does it matter? You can make a workbench out of many timbers. I'd just carry on and make the bench.

It does not matter, I just wanted to know, what I have (if someone asked me about the workbench).
Tell them it's sycamore!
According to my TRADA book yours is most likely to be either sycamore, or "Norway" maple with properties similar to sycamore but less hard and slightly heavier.

Last edited:
Hello,

Thank you.

View attachment 160388
Calculate volume. Hard maple weighs about 44 lbs cu ft. soft maple 34 red maple 38.

Tell them it's sycamore!
According to my TRADA book yours is most likely to be either sycamore, or "Norway" maple with properties similar to sycamore but less hard and slightly heavier.
Sycamore should be more brownish and my wood is pale yellow/white, so it can be Norway maple.

Latest posts

Back