Maple goblet

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ad de Crom

Established Member
Reaction score
Was a long time ago that I turned a goblet.
Had for this goblet a nice piece of maple.
The max. diameter of the chalice is 85mm, and in total tall 190mm.
Finished as usual with transparent acrylic stain decoration
100_1679-maplegoblet-tall190mm.jpg

Cheers, Ad

I like it a lot Ad, brilliant shape in my opinion. Although I have a question, seeing as I’ve tried to do something similar in the past with little success. But what tool do you use to hollow out the Chalice part? I’ve been trying to use a bowl gouge on some Apple, with difficulty.

Dan

I agree with Santos. I like that shape and the triangular beads on the stem. They set it off nicely. Now a nice piece of pyrography on there :whistle: :whistle: :whistle:

No Ad, that is a nice piece of work!

As for the hollowing Santos, I use a spindle gouge for my goblets until it gets a bit deeper and if I think it's getting a bit deep for the spindle gouge I use my Robert Sorby multi tip scraper. Most times, just the spindle gouge though.

I normally drill the center out to the depth I want with a 1 1/4" flat plate bit at slow speed. That gets rid of a lot of wood in an easy manner! Don't forget the length of the point though :oops:

Nice Goblet Ad, - Lovely finish as all your work, Not sure about the beads though on the stem,

Santos,

use your spindle gouge, and practice the raffan cut for hollowing goblets, eggcups etc, much quicker than mounting your drill arbor !

Link to a vid here http://www.turningtools.co.uk/videos/videoclips/hollowing.mpg

get someone to show you though, takes a little getting used to,

Regs

laurence

Santos":25xxt971 said:
I like it a lot Ad, brilliant shape in my opinion. Although I have a question, seeing as I’ve tried to do something similar in the past with little success. But what tool do you use to hollow out the Chalice part? I’ve been trying to use a bowl gouge on some Apple, with difficulty.

Dan
Dan, in this case I used my hollowing rig with a HSS cutting tip, I'm used to work with this tool. The depth of the hollowing is 85mm.

Thanks guys, really big help. When I did use my spindle gouge I used the top with the flute faced towards me, as you can imagine, that gave me a few catches. I’ll be sure to try the method Loz showed in that link, seems very effective. Sorry John, I haven’t even got a drill chuck for the lathes tail stock, but cheers for the heads up with that idea, I’ll be sure to try and get my hands on one when I stop being a fulltime student :p

Dan

Back