Manufacturing plywood: Then and now.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I remember my dad blagging a trip round a plywood mill at Gravesend back in the mid 60's I think it was Thames marine plywood. To a small lad the sight of the rotary peeler in action slicing veneer was impressive. And of course back then they used decent glue unlike the wallpaper paste often used today!

Very interesting - but ADVANCED in 62 years? I don't think so. The trees in that were enormous compared to what's used now and the thickness of each veneer was more than modern plywood.

Oh to get my hands on some of that stuff...

rafezetter":3eh7oban said:
Very interesting - but ADVANCED in 62 years? I don't think so. The trees in that were enormous compared to what's used now and the thickness of each veneer was more than modern plywood

Hello,

Birch trees growing as big as Douglas Fir, I don't think so. And thin veneer core ply is better than the thick ply stuff. I think the old video is showing construction grade plywood the new one furniture grade. Give me the birch ply any day, however it is made!

Interesting video though, thanks for posting.

Mike.

Noticeable lack of people in the modern factory, - that's progress!

Roger, - not much H&S in the 50's, staff were more expendable back in the good old days!

Back