managing photo storage

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OLD

Established Member
Reaction score
Running cs3 full edition using c drive for programs and a temp. folder called 'for burning' a second hd.(main store) houses the album.Files are archived to DVDs and deleted from 'for burning' from time to time.
Problem is the main store is filling up and current thinking is to have a 2tb. external drive as the Master Album and continue using the current arrangement saving files to a folder tree contained in a main folder for the current year (photos 2010)
Does this sound OK and is there a way at the end of a session ( to even out resources use) for the pc to update the folder photos 2010 on the master album (external drive )from photos 2010 in the main store (second hd. ) any help would be appreciated.

Hi. it sounds as if you are after some backup software. Unfortunately most backup software saves the backup in a specific file format. This makes future access difficult without the appropriate, backup, software.

"SyncBack Freeware V3.2.20.0" from http://www.2brightsparks.com/downloads.html#freeware actually saves the backup in the original format. This means, that in your case, the backup file is accessible with whatever software you used originally, Photoshop.

I have not used SyncBack for some time but I would certainly look at it amongst others. I have, at one time, set up my Pc to start a SyncBack operation whenever the computer was shut down, which may be what you require.

If you think this may help I'll dig up my notes on setting this up.

Please let me know how you get on.

xy

I don't trust DVDs for backup. Had too many that seem fine when first done but 6 months later can't be read.

All my pictures are on TWO hard drives - one inside my PC and one external one which has a complete copy as backup. knowing that hard drives will fail but not knowing when I also keep a third copy on another USB drive every month or two.

I use allwaysync which is easy to use, very customisable and free. If you use it many times within a week or so it suggests you might like to buy the paid for version but still works.

xy mosian":n046xx9j said:
Hi. it sounds as if you are after some backup software. Unfortunately most backup software saves the backup in a specific file format. This makes future access difficult without the appropriate, backup, software.

"SyncBack Freeware V3.2.20.0" from http://www.2brightsparks.com/downloads.html#freeware actually saves the backup in the original format. This means, that in your case, the backup file is accessible with whatever software you used originally, Photoshop.

I have not used SyncBack for some time but I would certainly look at it amongst others. I have, at one time, set up my Pc to start a SyncBack operation whenever the computer was shut down, which may be what you require.

If you think this may help I'll dig up my notes on setting this up.

Please let me know how you get on.

xy

I use SyncBack - it's very good. All files go on to NAS each week. I also use it to sync software setting files from my C drive to my D (data) drive so they all get backed up each way (i.e. I simply make my data drive the backup source location).

I have downloaded the suggested apps. and am working out what operations can be automated its all looking very useful thanks very much.

Back