Makita MLT100 table saw

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi Blaze

The site agent brought the similar model 2704 onto a big job I was on a couple of years back so I had about 3 months using one on and off. That was not a bad bit of kit but with a couple of niggles. The depth of cut is only about 70mm with the crown guard in place so everyone and his dog took it off so they could get 90mm depth of cut and didn't bother to replace it which ain't so good. The 2704 seemed a little plasticky with plastic rack and pinnion teeth for the tilt mechanism but in the time I was on that job the hairy a**ed chippies didn't manage to kill it although we were all treating it with a bit of respect mainly 'coz the site agant was a big bloke! I'm told the MLT100 is a Chinese-made version of the 2704 with a different motor, fence and with the addition of a sliding table. The only one I've seen to date looked almost as well made as the original 2704. BTW my own backup chop saw is a Makita MLS100, another cheap Chinese Makita which I've now had for 12 months and used regularly on shop fits. If that is anything to go by the MLT won't be a bad buy.

Hi Blaze,

I bought the Elektra Beckum TS250 from D&Ms a couple of years ago I looked at the Makita and it wasnt as well made as the EB one have not been disapointed with the EB ts250 its now called "Metabo ts250" exactly the same apart from the name.

Very accurate for a portable saw I have cut tenons on it for cabinet doors and various other things, I dont cut up large sheets on it any more as I have a Festool for that.

Take a look at one if you can.

Just looked at your link that Makita is a cheaper version didn't notice that the one I looked at was around £500 must have been the next model up, my EB was £499 inc extract kit and stand.

http://www.dm-tools.co.uk/product.php/s ... /METTS250L

I wouldn't really recommend D&M as there customer service stinks but I am sure you can get this saw in any Metabo dealer.

thanks for the reply's everyone.

ive been using my pals 15 year old elu flip saw on and off and that doesn't have the guard or riving knife so im shaw i trust my self to use it with it off.

also chippy1970 i dont get on with metabo tools all the ones i used i have found odd to use.

I had the makita 2704 for about 1 year and sold it for a sliding table saw. A hammer. I personally was really happy with the Makita and think it was a stirling piece of kit. IF this is half as good it is worth a risk. People rant on about plastic a if it breaks all the time. In reality its tough and light and I would rather have that than some rubbish rolled steel that needs fettling. I think you could do alot worse but I hear that the axminster kity clone with the sliding table is worth a good look.
Owen

Surprised at that all the Metabo gear I have ever used is very well made and easy to use.

The saw I have has a plastic base just like the makuta so that its light to carry but the actual gubbins and the top are very acurately made.

Only thing I would say is its quiet noisy as it has a brushed motor.

Look at the Dewalt DW745, a very good alternative to Makita, Metabo, Bosch. Has a rack and pinion fence adjustment which is meant to be "wonderful". Of course, more expensive than the Makita MTL100 but in same price bracket as the others mentioned.

king blaze,

I took delivery of a Makita MLT100 table saw today, an eraly Christmas present from me, to me! :D Not to be confused of course with the seperate present which Mr Claus will no doubth bring (in the form of a planer/thicknesser).

Only used it a small bit but I'm very impressed with it!! Ok, I havent much experience and my previous two table saws were a Power Devil abomination and a Aldi offer (the Aldi one wasnt too bad actually! Jet offer a similar model, but just in a different color!).

None of the reviews or product descriptions I read stated that the MLT100 had a sliding carriage, and behold, to my surprise it does! It can extend back about 21" or so. Very nifty and slick with no slop in it at all! The mitre guage 'clamps' onto this table so the two can be pushed together.

The mitre guage is pretty hefty, solid and easy to work with (nice big push handle). There is however a slight bit of play in the rail, its not much, but there is a tiny little bit of movement.

Unfortunately the rip fence doesnt extend all the way to the back of the table, it just clears the blade, then stops, you could probably fix your own fence, but still it'd be nice if it were a little longer. It locks in place confidently and is good and secure.

The right hand side has an extendable table that extends about a foot or so as does a small table at the rear of the saw.

She comes fitted with a 40t tct blade, seems to be good, but will be replaced soon.

Hope thats of some help to you, if you need anymore info, or pics etc just shout! :wink:

hello CroppyBoy and Happy Christmas to you!

Pics and gloats always welcome so please feel free to indulge us all :) and congrats on your xmas deliveries!

Have a great day!

Cheers for the info mate. More pictures are always welcome.

im not in a great hurry to get one as it happens, but i think i will have to have a look at one.

Nice to hear that your first impressions are favourable.

CroppyBoy1798":r9e042p0 said:
Unfortunately the rip fence doesnt extend all the way to the back of the table, it just clears the blade, then stops, you could probably fix your own fence, but still it'd be nice if it were a little longer.
Well, that's how all modern table saws should be. If the fence carried through past the front gullets on the blade it might result in a pinch kick back if you sawed stressed timber. The matter has been dealt with here and elsewhere many many times in the past.

Here's a few pics for those interested, you'll have to excuse the messy shop, she's undergoing a bit of work at the moment and I need to build a proper base for the saw as well as one for my P/T.

1-3.jpg

3-2.jpg

2-3.jpg

Extendable side table:
4-1.jpg

5-1.jpg

Sliding carriage:
7-1.jpg

8-1.jpg

9-1.jpg

Rip fence rail:
6-1.jpg

Mitre gauge:
10-1.jpg

Thanks for posting those. Looks like a great bit of kit for those of us with small workshops!

Does it use an induction motor? Also, does it have a brake (I seem to recall reading that the makita saws in this class do, but the bosch doesn't?) Is there any play in the fence once locked down?

Many thanks for taking the time to grab the pictures :)

Hi mrwilby,

The saw does not have an induction motor unfortunately, she's pretty noisy, but nothing that a good pair of muffs cant help :)

It does have a break which is a nice feature (sounds nice too!).

There is no movement in the fence on the main table, it locks solid with no movement or flex. The grip however doesnt seem to be as tight on the extension table.

Hi to all!!

CroppyBoy,is the blade height adjustable (can't find a pdf manual over the net......)?

Are you happy after 3 months of use?

Thanks in advance

Hi Woodworker73,

The blade height is adjustable, yes, it'll cut max of 90mm and I know that because I've put a pice throught it that was exactly 90mm, a newel post off a stairs that I had to split down the middle.

I've only really started using it more so the past couple of months. So far, so good, pretty happy with it, the only let down that I've had so far with it was the side extension which wouldnt reach out far enough to cut an 8x4 down the middle, it was just a couple of inches short. Also the fence wouldnt get a tight grip of the aluminium extrusion on this small side extension table, certainly not tight enough to use as a fence! This problem however I soon sorted with an extension table I made myself, plus a runoff bench/router table to the rear, which, you can see here:

https://www.ukworkshop.co.uk/forums/view ... hp?t=30876

Apart from that, yeah, its a grand saw, it comes with a good blade! I havent changed it yet, its given a clean cut through oak, beech, pine and MDF alike. The sliding carraige is a nice feature and is pretty sturdy also.

Thanks!

I'm in trouble with the Axminster TS200 vs this makita....
I like the blade dimension and the cut eight of the makita and probably i will buy this one.

The makita main table is in aluminum?
Is it solid when you cut?

Ciao

The Axi TS200 certainly looks like a nice bit of kit! Looks more robust and better suited to light trade work, handling 8x4's etc. But I see the max cut is only 60mm and the power is 1,100w the Makita's max cut is 90mm and has a power of 1,500w.

The 90mm cut I made was with pine, I dont think I'd try and put the same thickness of a hardwood through it!! :?

The table top of the Makita is aluminium I believe, it also has a paint finish on it which tends to scratch easy enough with some use.

As for cutting, mine is pretty solid alright, I made a good strong base for it out of 6x2"'s so its sturdy enough. I do notice though that when making heavy cuts, say 50-90mm or so there does be a vibration coming from somewhere, might be something simple.

Latest posts

Back