Makita 3601B

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tom K

Established Member
Reaction score
Has anyone here used this router and is it any good. Obviously its the D handle fixed base configuration that intrigues me and the fact its available in 240v.

Its this one.Here

Are you sure thats not a Makita kettle ? :wink:

Ive seen those type on a lot of American websites never had a chance to use one.

For a 1/2" router it doesn't look to be very powerful enough as it's only 930W and single speed, might be OK for less demanding jobs.

It would onlly be used for edge profiles and such. I have a couple of the big Tritons and a monster Porter Cable for heavy work.

Hi Tommo,

couple of things that I noticed when I looked at this one - first off as stated, single speed and lowish wattage, so limited to what it can do for a 1/2inch machine.
Plunge is also exceptionally low, only 30mm of alteration across the screwthread adjustment, although in its favour, this is pretty responsive and easy to fine tune for fine adjustment.
For me, the other big problem is the actual power supply.
If you look at an image of the router, you can see the cable goes through the handle, and subsequently, this links through the handle into the motor, so not only can you not fully remove the body from the base for easier bit swaps if its fixed in a table (and you need two spanners to do so) it also means that the cable is likely (in my opinion) to be prone to wear as it will be bending up and down within the tight space between base and motor every time you adjust it.
When I looked at it, I commented on the fact it looked like the one 'Norm' used in old episodes of NYW, and it looks to be the case, with Makita simply launching an old US model in the UK.
Bosch had it close to right with their dual base model, (and the Draper budget model is surprisingly good as well) and Bosch have just launched a new model dual base in the States, so it may appear over here at some stage.

hope this helps.

cheers,
Andy

Hi Guys
Well after 50 years of boatbuilding I first used these routers in the Uk in the early 80's it was one of the best routers I have ever used. When I went to buy one for my self they were discontinued back then. Last week I found that it was back on sale in the UK, ordered right away can not wait for it to arrive. No it does not plunge the amount of plunge cutting one really does is very small, have a large powerfull plunging router for that type or work. For general routing this tool is a dream to use brilliant control no hand ace after 30 minutes of constant use. Do not let the low wattage fool you this router does not run out of steam. Once you have used one you will not want to to go back to some Bosch with a couple of small drawer knobs to try to control it with. For the guy who thinks it looks like a kettle if he is that much into fashion he should have been a hair dresser not a carpenter.
Buy and try you will not be disappointed read the woodworking reviews they all say the same.

Back