Making wooden planes

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Karl

Established Member
Reaction score
Ok, so on the spur of the moment I ordered a nice lump of hardwood from Workshop Heaven with the intention of making a plane. Problem is that I now need to decide what type of plane(s) to make.

The piece is 640 x 85 x 70 mm. I have several options:

1) A pair of handed mitre planes.

2) A smoothing plane and matching jack plane. Handled, like this one but with a wedge instead of the fine adjuster.

3) A long jointer plane.

4) A combination of the above.

I don't really "need" any of the above, but would love to have one of my own creations to use.

Look forward to hearing what you guys think.

Cheers

Karl

If you design the smoother the same way as the one in the link then you could have a plane that doubles up as a scraper plane by reversing the blade

Well that make it an easier decision!

I think I will see what the piece looks like before making a decision - it should be here today.

Cheers

Karl

Hi Karl,

I would make the jack as a first plane. It's a tool for coarse work so it would be usable even if there are minor lapses. :wink:

Cheers
Pedder

Hi, Karl

Come on, what wood did you order? and when do we see the pics?

Pete

Hi Pete

The wood is a piece of Ancient Kauri, as seen here.

It didn't arrive today - hopefully tomorrow. I will get one face planed up and have a look at the grain.

Cheers

Karl

pedder":qrlsaqps said:
Hi Karl,

I would make the jack as a first plane. It's a tool for coarse work so it would be usable even if there are minor lapses. :wink:

Cheers
Pedder

Or a scrub, for the same reasons, possibly more so, since jacks are common second hand, and scrubs less so.

In truth, there's a continuum from "fine jack" to pure scrub anyway, and discussed before.

BugBear

Kauri is a little soft for plane making generally. Not sure why they have that listed under hardwoods either?

I was eyeing up a couple of table legs (science benches from Corby) the other night, thinking much the same. I am going to go for a jointer, simply because I don't have one. I guess that should be the prime consideration when making your choice.

If I may ask a question, where were you going to get a blade from?

Not much help at all really, was it?

Bob

Pete B":1odjho7b said:
Kauri is a little soft for plane making generally.
If it's a bit on the soft side for a plane, the other option is to glue on a harder bit of stuff on the underside. Bubinga would be good, Martin let me had a nice lump of greenheart for plane making which is excellent. The only slight problem is that it's a bit more difficult to work out where mouth will come after you've glued on sole, which is why I went for the adjustable infilled mouth on the few that I've made - Rob

I rather like the A55 smoother/scraper.

It doesn't look too difficult and I do believe you can buy the metalwork, if you haven't the facilities do make it yourself.

Even so, it might be a bit ambitious for a first make. Maybe Philly would be able to advise.

'Cos I'd like one of those, instead of looking out for a Stanley scraper! :D

I had never heard of Ancient Kauri before. I was amazed and a bit shocked to realise that it's not just a name, it really is ancient.
I don't know why but I would feel quite uncomfortable using wood that is 45,000 years old... Disrespectful in a way...

If I'm not making any sense just ignore me! :oops:

Back