Making wood screws.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bedrock

Established Member
Reaction score
I bought the 1-1/4"tap and die set at an auction some years ago, but could never get the thing to work properly. Yesterday pm, I tried again with the same results. For the first time the screws holding the top plate came apart, and I could see that the threads below the cutter were blocked with old cuttings, which ensured that the thread was stripping.
Half an hour with a scriber and a very thin chisel cleared the problem, and with a couple of swipes with a diamond file to put a keen edge on the cutter, I produced a pair of very clean wooden screws with remarkably little fuss.

The tap needed some dressing to the leading edge, but with a little extra muscle, I have now the makings of a Moxon type vice.

Couldn't be more pleased - getting an old tool back into good working order.

Andy

You could well be right. I was surprised at the ease of creating a male thread, compared with cutting metal threads. I now need to create or acquire a wrench for the tap. Gripping the rectangular end with a mole wrench was not as easy.
Mike

Bedrock":3iatg2gp said:
Andy
I now need to create or acquire a wrench for the tap. Gripping the rectangular end with a mole wrench was not as easy.
Mike

Mike, I have just spent some time trying to find an image I just know I have. The image is of a wooden handle to use on tapered square shank augers. The interesting bit is the metal plate recessed in to form the drive for the shank. Such a thing may be applicable in your case.
I am lucky enough to have a Sargents, remember them?, 1 1/2" tap and die. My solution was, if I can find it, a square hole in a length of sash cramp bar. I hasten to add some other person had cut up the sash cramp.
xy

Thank you both. I probably have a length of steel I can create a rectangular hole in.

Mike

Back